Sudden Failure for Running Some Programs RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All

I was asked to post this over here for better help. Hopefully it is in the right place if not let me know. It is a Windows 10 Pro machine and was running well up to this problem. I am unsure what information would be useful for you to know up front as I am uncertain to the core of the problem or how it happened. 

Basic information on the machine: HP, 1x4 AMD Athalon, 2x4 630 processor, 2.80 GHz, 6 GB RAM. 64 bit operating system running 10 updated from 7 in late October and was updated to the newer build. 

Original Message:

I have a friend who's computer I believe did updates for Windows 10 recently (as in the past couple of weeks) that since then is now displaying the following error message:

The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present.

Looking through a lot of old posts dating back to Windows 7 and Server 2008 and following the steps to try to work with the DISM (the whole checkhealth etc from the elevated command prompt as per Microsoft's article on the matter) have gotten me nowhere. 

While something like Edge runs fine, IE will not. While I can find support articles about older versions of windows with this issue I have yet to see it with another Windows 10 user and am not exactly sure what happened to even create this issue.

I can only access this computer remotely and while an image exists she is currently trying to find it as that seems to be the easiest fix right now. Any advice would be appreciated on this matter and I apologize if this question has been asked before. 

Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did DISM reported errors when you checked the computer?

Have you tried this procedure ?

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Gérald

Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Hi Airmid79,

"I have a friend who's computer I believe did updates for Windows 10 recently"
    Do you mean the issue occurred after an update?

According to my research, this error message is related to the "WOW64" feature. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run seamlessly on 64-bit Windows. Here is a link for reference:
    Running 32-bit Applications
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384249%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    If the issue occurred after an update and if the system restore is available, we could try to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point. Of course, we could open an adminstrator command line and then run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files as Gérald Mathieu suggested firstly.

If the issue persists, we may consider to perform an in-place upgrade repair with a Windows 10 installation media to have a fix.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did DISM reported errors when you checked the computer?

Have you tried this procedure ?

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Gérald

Saturday, January 30, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Hi Airmid79,

"I have a friend who's computer I believe did updates for Windows 10 recently"
    Do you mean the issue occurred after an update?

According to my research, this error message is related to the "WOW64" feature. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run seamlessly on 64-bit Windows. Here is a link for reference:
    Running 32-bit Applications
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384249%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    If the issue occurred after an update and if the system restore is available, we could try to perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point. Of course, we could open an adminstrator command line and then run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files as Gérald Mathieu suggested firstly.

If the issue persists, we may consider to perform an in-place upgrade repair with a Windows 10 installation media to have a fix.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:07 AM