none
DPM 2016 or SAC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking at installing DPM 2016 but am not sure about whether or not I should use the semi annual channel (SAC) release.  I was thinking of going for DPM 2016 on a Windows 2016 server with SQL 2016 Enterprise, as we will be protecting Windows 2016, 2012 R2, and 2008 R2 servers along with Exchange 2010, SharePoint 2010 and preferred the idea of the DPM version not going end of life within 18 months as it would with SAC (aside from the occasional update rollups).

Is there anything else I need to consider before choosing which version to go for?

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

This choice comes down to you in the end really, but as you mentioned if you prefer a product that doesn't go EoL soon, then I would suggest going for the Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC).

You can also find more information regarding your choice from the Microsoft official documentation:

Should you use LTSC or Semi-Annual Channel?

To summarize this shortly:

Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC)
    • 2-3 years.
    • 5 years maintstream support + 5 years.
    • Focus on Windows Server LTSC support.

Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) 
    • Every 6 months.
    • 18 months support.
    • New features requested by customers.

Also note the following:

To use SQL 2016, you must immediately install DPM 2016 UR2 after installing DPM 2016. You cannot install DPM 2016 on SQL 2016 SP1.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by chris624 Monday, October 1, 2018 9:33 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

This choice comes down to you in the end really, but as you mentioned if you prefer a product that doesn't go EoL soon, then I would suggest going for the Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC).

You can also find more information regarding your choice from the Microsoft official documentation:

Should you use LTSC or Semi-Annual Channel?

To summarize this shortly:

Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC)
    • 2-3 years.
    • 5 years maintstream support + 5 years.
    • Focus on Windows Server LTSC support.

Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) 
    • Every 6 months.
    • 18 months support.
    • New features requested by customers.

Also note the following:

To use SQL 2016, you must immediately install DPM 2016 UR2 after installing DPM 2016. You cannot install DPM 2016 on SQL 2016 SP1.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by chris624 Monday, October 1, 2018 9:33 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:03 PM
  • Thanks Leon,

I'm going to opt for the LTSC version as things won't change that frequently on our network and the longer product life would work better for us.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards

Chris

Monday, October 1, 2018 9:33 AM