Excessive Disk I/O by System (Process 4) for about 15 minutes several times a day RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer with 3 rotating disk drives containing a total of 7 partitions, 16 GB memory, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, and a fast 4-core hyper-threaded CPU.  Windows was installed 9 months ago, and gets updated automatically.  The issue is that, several times a day, "System" (process 4) starts doing massive disk I/O on every partition simultaneously for about 15 minutes.  Resource Monitor tells me that all the I/O is inside the System Volume Information folders; that the disks are 100% active; and that process 4 is doing 10 to 40 MB/second of reads and writes.  This I/O occurs on all partitions, including archival partitions that have not been accessed for several days.  I have disabled all the system restore points ("System protection") with no effect.  The I/O load is bad enough that programs trying to play music suffer noticeable dropouts.  The CPUs are not working hard (maybe 5% loaded).  I never had this trouble with with WinXP and a similar disk configuration.  Any idea what is causing this, and how I can stop it? 

Sunday, May 26, 2013 3:05 PM

All replies

• RVS

Just a thought in passing.  Have you checked the defrag scheduling, or do you have a 3rd party defragger/

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:27 PM
  • The system volume information folder is where restore points are saved.  Disable System Restore and delete the restore points and that should clear it up. Also, make sure its disabled on ALL partitions.  

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, May 27, 2013 1:07 AM
  • The defrag schedule was set to the default -- once per week on all drives.  This does not explain the several times per day observed behavior.  I have unscheduled defragging for the archival partitions, since they will not need it.  And, by the way, the defrag scheduler said defrag had not run for the past 30 days on all drives beside C:.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:58 PM
  • Dear Chris,

This was my first thought.  As I wrote in my original message, I had already disabled all system restore point creation on all drives.  And Windows says it is still off.

Rainer

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:01 PM