Windows 10 Pro - WSUS Upgrade to 1703 not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Most of our fleet are running Windows 10 Pro 1607, which has been 'uplifted' to Enterprise by Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses assigned to users.

The issue we are facing is, for those machines, neither Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise 1703 upgrades are showing as needed in WSUS.

A couple of machines have dropped back to Pro after the Windows 10 Enterprise E3 license was removed (and the grace period expired), and those machines were then able to apply the Windows 10 Pro 1703 upgrade through WSUS successfully.

Has anyone else encountered this, or have any suggestions for a fix?

Friday, October 13, 2017 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

Most of our fleet are running Windows 10 Pro 1607, which has been 'uplifted' to Enterprise by Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses assigned to users.

The issue we are facing is, for those machines, neither Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise 1703 upgrades are showing as needed in WSUS.

A couple of machines have dropped back to Pro after the Windows 10 Enterprise E3 license was removed (and the grace period expired), and those machines were then able to apply the Windows 10 Pro 1703 upgrade through WSUS successfully.

Has anyone else encountered this, or have any suggestions for a fix?

As far as I recall, Enterprise versions cannot be upgraded by WSUS. They must be done through imaging using the VSLC image, 3rd party tools, manually, or as you found out, dropping back down to Windows 10 Pro which will then be upgradable.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:58 AM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response!

That is news to me (that WSUS cannot upgrade Enterprise versions). I did a quick search and didn't find anything verifying that - can you point me to anything?

I can see the upgrade in WSUS, called 'Feature update to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1703, en-us), but all my 1607 PC's see it as not applicable.

When the PC's drop back to Pro after the Enterprise E3 grace period expires, they detect 'Feature update to Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, en-us, Retail' as being needed. I wonder if that 'Retail' part may be a clue. There is another Pro upgrade which seems to be identical only without 'Retail' on the end, and for Enterprise there are no versions with 'Retail' at all (which makes sense). All PC's are using OEM Windows 10 Pro keys.

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:13 AM
  • I may have recalled improperly. I think it may have been due to the free upgrade that has since passed. I'll look on my WSUS Server tomorrow and see if I can confirm.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:18 AM