none
Project Variance RRS feed

• Question

• I am on Project Server 2010 with Project Professional 2010.  A project published to Project Server has an incorrect Variance.  I open the project in Project Professional 2010 and recalculate.  The top level task for the project has the correct variance but the overall variance for the project remains at 0. 

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:09 PM

Answers

• Julie, thanks for the extra info. You answer one of the questions - the reason the project level finish variance shows zero is because there is no project level baseline finish. On the face of it, I can't suggest a specific reason why not. The baseline save date doesn't help - that will be reset to the date that any tasks at all were last baselined and doesn't refer to the whole project.

Can you confirm what you mean by the 'top level task'? Insert the column to display Outline level. I suspect that what you refer to as the top level task will have an outline level of 1. There is also the Project Summary Task which has the outline level of 0. You can choose to display this (or not) by (un)checking the option in File->Options->Advanced (you need to scroll down a bit to find the check box). The baseline information in the Project Summary Task is the same as in the Project Statistics.

The only way I could replicate your situation is by baselining only selected tasks - without rollup to all summary tasks.

Graham

• Marked as answer by Julie Putman Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:27 PM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:17 PM

All replies

• Julie, can you provide a bit more information - and perhaps check a couple of things?

Which variance are you talking about? Work, Cost, Duration, Finish, Start?

Whichever one it is, what are the values that are being compared to calculate the variance (e.g. Finish Date and Baseline Finish)?

Graham

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:39 PM
  • It's the Finish Variance for the Project.  Finish variance for the overall project should be 95 in line with the top level task.  The project statistics in the project information is 0.  I'm using the Finish Variance as a graphical indicator in PWA.

Side note:  I'd attach a screenshot but just created this account today and have not received an email to verify the account.

Thanks,

Julie

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:16 PM
  • OK, thanks for the extra information.

So - Finish Variance. If you look at the Finish date for the project and the Baseline Finish for the project, what do you see. Does the Finish Variance not calculate properly for those values?

The same question for the values of Finish Date and Baseline Finish for the summary task that you are comparing with the Project level information.

A couple of possibilities come to mind:

1. You never actually baselined the whole project. You just baselined some selected tasks and rolled up to selected summary levels;
    2. There is another task somewhere lower down in the WBS which is driving the project finish date outside the summary task you are looking at - and that applied at the time you baselined. Now the summary task is pushed out and has a finish variance but the project finish is unchanged.

Graham

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:02 PM
  • The project is baselined.  The finish date is 95 days after the baseline finish.  The Finish Variance for the top level task is 95 days.  However, the variance for the project is 0.

Thanks,

Julie

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:05 PM
  • In the project statistics the baseline is NA.  The baseline for the top level task is 95 days variance.  How do I get the project baseline to be set the same as the top level task baseline?

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Additional information: In the Set Baseline dialog box the the baseline was last saved on 11 April for the entire project.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Julie, thanks for the extra info. You answer one of the questions - the reason the project level finish variance shows zero is because there is no project level baseline finish. On the face of it, I can't suggest a specific reason why not. The baseline save date doesn't help - that will be reset to the date that any tasks at all were last baselined and doesn't refer to the whole project.

Can you confirm what you mean by the 'top level task'? Insert the column to display Outline level. I suspect that what you refer to as the top level task will have an outline level of 1. There is also the Project Summary Task which has the outline level of 0. You can choose to display this (or not) by (un)checking the option in File->Options->Advanced (you need to scroll down a bit to find the check box). The baseline information in the Project Summary Task is the same as in the Project Statistics.

The only way I could replicate your situation is by baselining only selected tasks - without rollup to all summary tasks.

Graham

• Marked as answer by Julie Putman Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:27 PM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:17 PM
  • You are correct.  The top level task wast at ouline level 1.  I am now displaying the project summary level task.  The question is...how can I apply the baseline to the project level summary task?  There have been a significant number of changes to the project since we set the baseline.

Thanks,

Julie

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Here's a screenshot of the tope level dates.  We need the entire project to show 95 days late.

Thanks,

Julie Putman

Monday, May 20, 2013 4:12 PM