none
2010 Cube Configuration: MDX Syntax RRS feed

• Question

• in our 2007 cube we have custom fields defined using the syntax: [measure].[fieldname1]- [measure].[fieldname2].  During our conversion to 2010, the cube custom configuration migrated, however the custom fields would not calculate.  The 2010 cube would build successfully, the fields would be in the field list, but the values would be #error. Once I removed the "[measure]." from the MDX statements, the fields worked.

I'm now adding a new MDX field: variance = [baseline cost]-[cost]. When the cube is built, the field is not created and is not present in the field list. I've tried this with and with out the [measure] qualifier

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or corrections would be appreciated.

Dan

Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:12 PM

Answers

• With further testing & analysis, I was able to determine what the issue was. If the cube structure has change (new fields, etc) as in my case and you want to add the new field to an existing "spreadsheet", you need to first refresh the spreadsheet. The refresh not only refreshes the data content, it refreshes the OLAP field list. spreadsheet in order to have access to the new field (via the field list).  In 2007, displaying the field list automatically included the cube's new field.
    • Marked as answer by dfeigen115 Friday, May 4, 2012 2:39 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:39 PM

All replies

• I'm sure you have tried this, but are you doing this in the correct cube, and is baseline cost available within the cube?  (you have the choice to add them into the cubes...

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Yep, checked (and double checked). I'm defining the new vaulue in the same cube as my other MDX defined fields, both baseline cost and cost exist in the cube also..
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 7:49 PM
  • With further testing & analysis, I was able to determine what the issue was. If the cube structure has change (new fields, etc) as in my case and you want to add the new field to an existing "spreadsheet", you need to first refresh the spreadsheet. The refresh not only refreshes the data content, it refreshes the OLAP field list. spreadsheet in order to have access to the new field (via the field list).  In 2007, displaying the field list automatically included the cube's new field.
    • Marked as answer by dfeigen115 Friday, May 4, 2012 2:39 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:39 PM