none
Force MSP 2010 to automatically generate a schedule according to what you want RRS feed

• Question

• I have made a Gantt chart/schedule manually. I know that this is the most efficient schedule. But, the one generated by MSP 2010 "automatic scheduling" takes much longer.

In fact, I could not even do the MSP thing correctly. There is one circular dependency that I don't know how to resolve. I am new to MSP and project management, so this is really hard for me.

So, I was wondering if I can do this - Make MSP AUTOMATICALLY generate the schedule which I want, not the one that it makes on its own. I want to make a manual schedule and make it look as if it was automatic.

Thanks.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:29 AM

Answers

• MicroManProj --

If your viewer inspects the MPP file, and has even a modest amount of experience with Microsoft Project, you will be busted, my friend.  I hate to tell you this, but I think you ought to stick to your Excel version of the project.  At least you have more expertise with that tool.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by MicroManProj Monday, October 29, 2012 1:58 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:02 AM

All replies

• And how do you intend to "tell" Project what you "want", if what it "tells" you is not what you want?

Project is a big calculator. It does what what you tell it to do. It is subservient to you. If you tell it to do a manual representation of a project, it will do so.  If you tell it to compute a schedule "automatically" (based on you giving it durations, tasks, assignments, logic, etc.), it will do it. 

What you see is what you get.  Project does not have a brain to figure out what you want.  It's just a calculator.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Maybe I did not explain myself correctly. I made an excellent schedule in a spreadsheet. I don't know how to break down my list of tasks so that I get the same schedule in MSP. I am new to project management and MSP.

I want MSP to generate the same schedule automatically.One way would be by setting up my tasks and dependencies correctly. I don't want to go that route because I suspect it will take too much time to learn the basics. I am only interested in getting the result.

Is there any way I could do that ?

Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:44 PM
  • You need to give us an example, because Rob is right: Project just adds the durations to calculate dates and uses a calendar to determine working days. A schedule may "look" right in Excel, but it may not be based on reasonable data. you also need to understand Project. For example Duration is always in working days. So 5d is 5 working days. A task linked to it will start on the next available working day as determined by the calendar.

So if you entered 7d thinking that is 1 week, Project says that's one working week plus 2 working days from the next week, a total of 9 calendar days (assuming a 2 day weekend).

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to make a manual schedule look as if it were automatically calculated, so trying to fool both your audience and yourself, here's the very good news: it is possible.

Instead of making manually scheduled tasks, make them automatically scheduled. Now insert two columns: Constraint Type and Constraint date. For constraint type for all tasks select Must Start On, and in Constraint date type the start date you have dreamt up. Don't forget the duration and absolutely DO NOT TOUCH THE FINISH field.

That's it. In my view not very useful, but it's what you asked for.

Just one thing... Project does not, absolutely not, make up a schedule. Only the user does.

Greetings,

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to make a manual schedule look as if it were automatically calculated, so trying to fool both your audience and yourself, here's the very good news: it is possible.

Yes ! That is exactly what I have in mind ! Will try to do what you suggested. The main thing is I don't want the viewer to realize this trickery even if she/he decides to inspect the .mpp file.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:16 PM
  • MicroManProj --

If your viewer inspects the MPP file, and has even a modest amount of experience with Microsoft Project, you will be busted, my friend.  I hate to tell you this, but I think you ought to stick to your Excel version of the project.  At least you have more expertise with that tool.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by MicroManProj Monday, October 29, 2012 1:58 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 1:02 AM
  •    MicroManProj --

If your viewer inspects the MPP file, and has even a modest amount of experience with Microsoft Project, you will be busted, my friend.  I hate to tell you this, but I think you ought to stick to your Excel version of the project.  At least you have more expertise with that tool.  Hope this helps
    Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Yes, that seems to be the case. Which is why I am trying to do it without all the trickery. I will be using auto scheduling in MSP 2010 and see what happens.

Thanks.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:02 AM
  • MicroManProj --

If your viewer inspects the MPP file, and has even a modest amount of experience with Microsoft Project, you will be busted, my friend.  I hate to tell you this, but I think you ought to stick to your Excel version of the project.  At least you have more expertise with that tool.  Hope this helps
    Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Yes, that seems to be the case. Which is why I am trying to do it without all the trickery. I will be using auto scheduling in MSP 2010 and see what happens.

Thanks.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 2:02 AM