One Email Address, Multiple Users? RRS feed

• Question

• My setup is as follows:

• SBS 2011 Standard - Using pop3 connector
    • Windows 7 Ultimate - on local domain

I have tried without success to create 3 different users on the SBS that all share the same email address. Once I have that figured out, I will want to create 3 different Windows 7 accounts (each on different computers), have Outlook 2010 check the email accounts using Exchange.

Can somebody help?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

• I finally got it working...

What I did was make an account on SBS - Peter@...

Then on the Windows 7, I logged on to Peter's account and set up the Outlook. There was also settings in Outlook that enabled Peter to have other people see the email - will have to see if I can share the calender later time...

Afterewards, I logged Peter off and logged into Micky's account. Set up the Outlook and added Peter to the emails that needed to be checked. Finally it worked!

• Marked as answer by James Zou Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:26 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:57 AM

All replies

• Create a public mail-enabled distribution group with the email address that you want to use.  Add these 3 users to the distribution group.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:17 PM
  • ...but just remember that any of three people who reply to any inbound emails, the reply will go from their own name and not from the single shared address.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Create a public mail-enabled distribution group with the email address that you want to use.  Add these 3 users to the distribution group.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

How would I go about creating a public mail-enabled group? I don't have much experience with anything other than the basic Windows (XP & 7).

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:58 PM
  • In the console, click Users and Groups (I think that's what it's called) and choose to create a new group. That's it! You'll be asked if you want it to be mail enabled.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:04 PM
  • SBS: OK, so I did do that part right. I also gave it the shared email address (for example: group@email.com). Afterwards, I put the users that would share the email into the group.

Windows 7: When setting up the Outlook account it could not find the email group@email.com, only the email that was made with the user account that I was configuring at the time. I even tried after loging in with the SBS administrator account and it wouldn't find the group account email.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Yes, and if you want to receive emails to this address from 'outside', then there is a check box for this too.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi Longhair-NL,

This method only works for incoming mail. As Jim said, each user still would be sending from their own accounts, so you have to set each user up with their own email account, and use this when configuring Outlook.

One email address cannot be shared by more than one mail-enabled recipient.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:16 PM
  • That's correct. The group is really just a distribution list, it's not a mailbox store as such. Outlook only sees mailbox stores.

When an email is received by a distribution group it doesn't get stored in that group, it gets stored against all the members of that group. Distribution groups are usually used for things like "Accounts@" or "Sales@", so you can have the email going to multiple people OR to a single person and then chaneg that person, without having to change the email address you give out to customers.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:25 PM
  • So what you are saying is that if I send an email to group@email.com (used from the previous reply), then a copy would go to each person in the group but under their own email address?

Group users = User1, User2, User3. Instead of seeing group@email.com they would see User_@email.com (number depending on the use seeing the email). Is that correct?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Group1 consistes of User1, User2, user3. Group1 is mail-enabled.

External emails is sent to Group1@xxxxx.com. Email arrives in the inbox of all three users (User1, User2, User3). Each user will basically see that the email has been sent to them as that group address.

Each user is free to do waht they want with that email  (forward it, delete it) and it won't impact any other user. But if User1 (or 2 or 3) replies, the reply will come from User1@xxxxx.com.

Hope this helps.

Jim

• Edited by Jim Willsher Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:24 PM Correct error pointed out by Bigteddy
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:08 PM
  • I've never been on the receiving end, so I honestly can't say.  I understand why you are asking, though, because it's important for the recipient to know if this email was just sent to him/her, or to the whole group.

I think the group name (group@email.com) comes out as the To: address, but I'm not sure.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Jim, I beg to differ.  I've just tried it, and it does appear as the Distribution group in the To: field.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Cool :-) I wasn't in a position to check, I was just going from a somewhat clouded memory. Okay that's good. However the OP might still be disappointed that replies go from the individual user rather than from the group address.

Jim

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I think in the real world, it could get really confusing really quickly if the return address was the group address!  Imagine a group of 3 people all using the same email address independently.  It would be chaos.

What i think can be done is to create a user  called (for e.g.) accounts@someco.com, and have multiple users logging in as that user.  The Outlook client (I think)would be able to synchronise fast enough to seem concurrent.  This would require per device CALs, but that's another story.  I don't know if this scenario is supported, but I have tested it, and it works with a few concurrent logins.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:32 PM
  • I think in the real world, it could get really confusing really quickly if the return address was the group address!  Imagine a group of 3 people all using the same email address independently.  It would be chaos.

What i think can be done is to create a user  called (for e.g.) accounts@someco.com, and have multiple users logging in as that user.  The Outlook client (I think)would be able to synchronise fast enough to seem concurrent.  This would require per device CALs, but that's another story.  I don't know if this scenario is supported, but I have tested it, and it works with a few concurrent logins.

This what I wanted to do in the first place - create a user account (say UserA) and then the other users (user1... user3) be able to check the email for UserA@___ but when I tried to configure Outlook, it did not find UserA@___ no matter what account I tried to set up - even the SBS administrator account. I decided to focus my attentions at having the users in a single group.

I hope this makes more sense to everybody :)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Longhair, let's take this from the beginning.

You have (say) 10 users set up on your SBS domain with corresponding email accounts:

1. You should be able to set up all 10 users' Outlook profiles on the same computer if you want to.  Each Outlook profile resides in the user's local profile on that workstation.

2. You should be able to create an Outlook profile for a user (Peter) on more than one computer.

So what I'm saying is that wherever a user can log in, and Outlook is installed, that user should be able to run Outlook, and Autodiscover will take care of the rest.  The Outlook client will download a local copy of the user's items to a local .ost file.  A user can have many .ost files spread among various computers.  In other words, a user can roam.

I hope this makes sense!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:28 PM
  • What i think can be done is to create a user  called (for e.g.) accounts@someco.com, and have multiple users logging in as that user.  The Outlook client (I think)would be able to synchronise fast enough to seem concurrent. 

What I'm talking about here is to take the 'roaming' one step further, and have the same user simultaneously logged in many times, and using the same Exchange mailbox via many Outlook clients.  I don't think this is supported due to concurrency issues, but as I said, it does actually work for say 2-3 users.  I haven't tested it above this.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:36 PM
  • I make 4 accounts in SBS: Davy, Micky, Peter and Mike and they each get their own email.

• Davy@...
    • Micky@...
    • Peter@...
    • Mike@...

In Windows 7, they each have their own accounts:

• ...\Davy = Davy@...
    • ...\Micky = Micky@...
    • ...\Peter = Peter@...
    • ...\Mike = Mike@...

The are able to check their own email using Outlook without any problem.

Peter decides to leave the band and Davy, Micky and Mike decide that they all want to help check Peter's mail. They do not want to log out of their own account, log into Peter's account just to see if there is email or not and then log back onto their own account. So the idea would be to add Peter's email to their own account. So now their Outlook would look like this:

• ...\Davy = Davy@... & Peter@...
    • ...\Micky = Micky@... & Peter@...
    • ...\Mike = Mike@... & Peter@...

That is what I want to do but Outlook does not find Peter@... if I am using the account from Davy, Micky or Mike's account.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:02 PM
  • "That is what I want to do but Outlook does not find Peter@... if I am using the account from Davy, Micky or Mike's account."

No, Outlook can only have one Exchange account set up per profile.  And the Autodiscover will use the user's login details to configure the Outlook account automatically.

In the scenario you describe, the public mail-enabled distribution group called Peter@... with the other 3 as members, is the best solution.  It will be up to Davy, Mickey and Mike to communicate among each other as to who has answered a particular email that came to Peter.

Note:  You will have to remove Peter's mailbox from his AD account, or delete his AD account, in order to create a mail-enabled distribution list of the same name.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Bigteddy, my turn now :-) No, that's old. Outlook 2010 allow multiple Exchange accounts per profile - which is *very* useful :-) 2007 and earlier allow just one.

Longhair, what you can do is open your account in Outlook, chose to change the properties of it, then click "More Settings". On the Advanced tab you can choose to open additional mailboxes. Choose to add Peter's mailbox here. When you next open Outlook you'll have your mailbox AND Peter's mailbox. Admittedly if you reply to an email in Peter's mailbox it will come from you, but at least you'll be able to see what emails he is receiving.

Jim

• Edited by Jim Willsher Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:55 PM Fuzzy Head syndrome
    • Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:18 PM
  • I'm not trying to add another profile to Outlook, just one more email address.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/manage-another-person-s-mail-and-calendar-items-HA010075092.aspx#BM2

Here are the steps I have done in Windows 7:

• Control Panel
    • User Accounts and Family Safety
    • Mail (32-bit)
    • E-mail Accounts...
    • Highlight User Name
    • Change...
    • More Settings ...
    • Advanced (Tab)
    • Open these additional mailboxes:
    • Add...

Now when I add "Peter@..." it says that it cannot find "Peter@..." (or any other user's mailbox).

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Don't put Peter@, put the mailbox name. My full name is Jim Willsher, my mailbox name is Jim Willsher so I would just add Jim Willsher. Not Jimw@sys......

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Don't put Peter@, put the mailbox name. My full name is Jim Willsher, my mailbox name is Jim Willsher so I would just add Jim Willsher. Not Jimw@sys......

I will give that a try in tomorrow (8:40pm local time).

Please keep any and all suggestions coming I appreciate everybody's reply tonight.

Anybody is scratching their heads saying "why do those four names sound so familure" - The Monkees were the first think that popped into my head after hearing Peter.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:42 PM
  • No worries, the internet never sleeps and somebody will reply if you post back.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Bigteddy, my turn now :-) No, that's old. Outlook 2007/2010 allow multiple Exchange accounts per profile - which is *very* useful :-)

Longhair, what you can do is open your account in Outlook, chose to change the properties of it, then click "More Settings". On the Advanced tab you can choose to open additional mailboxes. Choose to add Peter's mailbox here. When you next open Outlook you'll have your mailbox AND Peter's mailbox. Admittedly if you reply to an email in Peter's mailbox it will come from you, but at least you'll be able to see what emails he is receiving.

Jim

I was tying out my reply (below the ^^ original post ^^) when you made this reply.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:45 PM
  • I tried it again, and what led me to believe it in the first place occurred:

I got a pop-up message, saying:

"You already have a Microsoft Exchange account set up.

Outlook supports only one Exchange account at a time"

Am running Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:47 PM
  • I really must have a fuzzy head today :-) I was convinced that functionality was added in 2007 but I guess it was just 2010. I should have googled first :-) I'll correct my other posting.

I have four Exchange accounts defined in Outlook 2010, all conected to different Exchange servers.

Jim

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Lucky you!  You can see the hoops I have to go through!
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Slow down, Jim.  The OP is running SBS2011 = Exchange 2010, and he doesn't say what version of Outlook he's using.  You may yet have the answer for him.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:59 PM
  • First post:

"I will want to create 3 different Windows 7 accounts (each on different computers), have Outlook 2010 check the email"

There's hope for my fuzzy head syndrome yet :-)

Jim

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I tried it again, and what led me to believe it in the first place occurred:

I got a pop-up message, saying:

"You already have a Microsoft Exchange account set up.

Outlook supports only one Exchange account at a time"

Am running Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007

This applies to Outlook 07 / Exchange 07

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/manage-another-person-s-mail-and-calendar-items-HA010075092.aspx

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:03 PM
  • I finally got it working...

What I did was make an account on SBS - Peter@...

Then on the Windows 7, I logged on to Peter's account and set up the Outlook. There was also settings in Outlook that enabled Peter to have other people see the email - will have to see if I can share the calender later time...

Afterewards, I logged Peter off and logged into Micky's account. Set up the Outlook and added Peter to the emails that needed to be checked. Finally it worked!

• Marked as answer by James Zou Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:26 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Yes, and if you want to receive emails to this address from 'outside', then there is a check box for this too.

Hi,

i was reading this and hoped you could tell me where this check box is located? I have set up a distribution group, that us universal and is a security group, i gave it an email address 'admin@company.com.au' (i have removed the company name)but when I send a test email using my personal email address it bounces with a 

"550 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for admin@company.com.au (state 14)" 

The distribution list has 5 members who all have separate email addresses of their own, and it is working internally.

Could anyone please help me?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:20 AM