none
Backup up system state on workstations with DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to DPM 2010 and have recently installed it and started learning how
    to use it. One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to backup the system
    state for workstations (XP, Vista, Windows 7). I am able to see the system
    state as a backup source for servers, but there is no system state node for
    the workstations.

Does DPM 2010 allow workstation system states to be backed up? If so, how?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

• Nope, you can't do that with DPM 2010.  DPM 2007 allowed it but DPM 2010 does not.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Hi Stefano,

Like Rod stated DPM does not offer system state backup for client computers. You could backup system state of your XP machines to a network share or folder and then have DPM pick it up from there. Windows Vista/7 does not have a system state backup option. That was replaced with “Complete PC Back up”. Complete PC Back up in Windows Vista/7 is an image of the computer so it achieves a similar goal to system state. You could run the Complete PC Back up out to a folder or network share and then let DPM pick it up from there as well. This is not ideal but it is a work around.

HTH 

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:04 AM

All replies

• Nope, you can't do that with DPM 2010.  DPM 2007 allowed it but DPM 2010 does not.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:29 AM
  • Hi Stefano,

Like Rod stated DPM does not offer system state backup for client computers. You could backup system state of your XP machines to a network share or folder and then have DPM pick it up from there. Windows Vista/7 does not have a system state backup option. That was replaced with “Complete PC Back up”. Complete PC Back up in Windows Vista/7 is an image of the computer so it achieves a similar goal to system state. You could run the Complete PC Back up out to a folder or network share and then let DPM pick it up from there as well. This is not ideal but it is a work around.

HTH 

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:04 AM
  • So what was Microsoft's reasoning behind dropping backups of the system state?  I understand the workarounds, but that is extra work for me.  I have critical workstations that need to be backed up, including the system state.  Having to schedule a full backup locally on the workstation before the actual companywide full backup is a bit of an annoyance.  Plus I won't get any notifications if the local backup fails for any reason.
    "Buchatech" <=?utf-8?B?QnVjaGF0ZWNo?=> wrote in message news:29700442-d655-44de-8d95-d21a94d8d518...

Hi Stefano,

HTH 

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:37 PM
  • So what was Microsoft's reasoning behind dropping backups of the system state?  I understand the workarounds, but that is extra work for me.  I have critical workstations that need to be backed up, including the system state.  Having to schedule a full backup locally on the workstation before the actual companywide full backup is a bit of an annoyance.  Plus I won't get any notifications if the local backup fails for any reason.
    "Buchatech" <=?utf-8?B?QnVjaGF0ZWNo?=> wrote in message news:29700442-d655-44de-8d95-d21a94d8d518...

Hi Stefano,

HTH 

Hi Stefano,

I don't know why Microsoft changed the backup in Windows Vista/7. I do know that the complete backup is a system image so it will save time of having to re-install the OS when you have to restore. I know this creates more work and is a pain. Maybe Microsoft will improve client backup in the next release of DPM.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:48 PM