Dual Graphic Cards in Windows 7 - NOT WORKING! RRS feed

• Question

• I had installed a second graphics card into my new computer - and now the computer is not functioning properly. When the computer is first turned on, the graphics display fine on the monitor connected to the new graphics card. But as soon as it hits the Windows 7 screen... the monitor goes black and does not boot. At this point, when i have to force a shutdown, it restarts in a "safe mode" and will usually let me log into windows no problem in safemode on the new graphics card. Unfortunatley, in safemode i dont seem to be able to fix the dual monitor setup. I know that both graphics cards are compatible, as i was using the other graphics card to begin with no problem. It is only now that i have have installed  second graphics card that i am having problems with windows detecting both. Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hello Kelly,

1.    Try to disable the onboard video card in BIOS or in Windows safe mode to see whether there exist conflicts between these two cards.

2.    Check Windows Update to obtain the latest device driver for both display adaptor.

3.    After logging the system in normal mode, hold Win key and press P twice on the keyboard to see whether it could be lighten the monitor connecting the new graphics card.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, November 27, 2009 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:33 AM

All replies

• Are the two video cards comaptible when installed in one computer?  Not all cards are comaptible with all other cards.

What are the make and model of the two video cards?

Are there any settings in the BIOS related to multiple video cards?

Do you have the most current video drivers that are specifically for Windows 7?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I checked the two video cards...

the onboard video card is: InteL (R)  g41 Express Chipset
    and the second one i installed is:  NVIDIA GE FORCE 7100 GS

I updated the drivers... so yes they are updated to windows 7 from what i can tell...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Hello Kelly,

1.    Try to disable the onboard video card in BIOS or in Windows safe mode to see whether there exist conflicts between these two cards.

2.    Check Windows Update to obtain the latest device driver for both display adaptor.

3.    After logging the system in normal mode, hold Win key and press P twice on the keyboard to see whether it could be lighten the monitor connecting the new graphics card.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, November 27, 2009 10:25 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:33 AM
  • I checked the two video cards...

the onboard video card is: InteL (R)  g41 Express Chipset
    and the second one i installed is:  NVIDIA GE FORCE 7100 GS

I updated the drivers... so yes they are updated to windows 7 from what i can tell...

That still does not mean that the 2 video devices are comaptible or can function at the same time.

What is the make and model of your computer, or motherboard if home built?
    • Proposed as answer by SentralIT Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:56 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hi there, I had a same issue with Two graphics cards for Windows 7 64-bit.

System was

Supermicro X8SIE-F

ATI Radeon HD 5450

Onboard Matrox graphics card

Basically, Win7 only loads 1-driver at a time, if you have a two different graphics cards from different manufacturers.

If you have 2 same graphics cards or similar type, for example ATI & AMD with the same chipset, this might work.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:59 AM