none
Move backup from one dirve to another RRS feed

• Question

• My old hard drive is 1.6 TB and new is 1.818 TB 

I am trying to move on old to new and I got below error

Set-ProtectionGroup : The allocation of disk space for storage pool volumes failed because there is not enough unallocat
    Add more disks to the storage pool or reduce the volume size requirement.
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:108 char:22
    +         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-ProtectionGroup], DlsException

Please help

Friday, June 8, 2012 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Can you ensure you have followed these steps:

http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/10/migratedatasourcedatafromdpmps1.html

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Can you ensure you have followed these steps:

http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/10/migratedatasourcedatafromdpmps1.html

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:12 AM
  • It is great work but my problem is i have one storage system that we want to take out so i want only those drive that belong to that storage system to my new storage system
    • Edited by J P IT Monday, June 11, 2012 9:53 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 9:52 PM
  • It is great work but my problem is i have one storage system that we want to take out so i want only those drive that belong to that storage system to my new storage system

Hi,

Can you re-phrase this so I can better understand?

Thanks

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Hi

I have 5 storage server s1,s2,s3,s4,s5 that connected to dpm server and all have backup for dpm sever.

My s3 have power supply problem right it running only on one power supply so we decided to  new storage server to replace s3. So I want only move backup for those drive that belong to s3

s3 has carry 12 LUN with RAID 5  and each has 1.6 TB size 

My new storage server has 14 LUN with RAID6 and each has 1.816 TB size

Now I run following command 

>$disk= Get-DPMDisk -DPMServerName dpmSERVER

>./MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 –DPMServerName skadpm-1 –Source $disk[23] –Destination $disk[38]

and $disk[23] is my s3 drive and $disk[38] is my new storage drive

and move couple protection and give error not enough space

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

To migrate a disk, you need enought space on the destination drive to hold all datasources (relica and recovery point volumes) that use that old disk.   The following blog explains this and has a power shell script that will show you how much storage is needed on the destination drive for each drive you want to migrate.   NOTE: The script does not take into account migrating multiple disks, so you would need to calculate that manually based on data sources that are spread across both disks you want to migrate.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/06/05/space-needed-to-migrate-a-disk.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:45 PM
  • closing for house cleaning porposes - open a new thread if you still require assistance.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 11:11 PM