none
Single entry mode and percentage completed RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

we would like to use the single entry mode feature, however we see the following behaviour: when the user submits their timesheet, the actual hours are indeed passed into the project plan, but the % Complete field is also affected. We need the PM to be able to control the actual progress of the task, how could this be done? The end users should only report their hours in the project, not mess up with the actual task progress.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Spyrosnb

% Complete is working as designed.  Use "Physical % complete" if you want to specify another measure of complete or create your own EPM field.

Cheers! 

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Michael,

thanks for the reply. 

Phsycal % Complete will probably suit, but it doesn't auto update the "Status" column of the task, even though I selected "Physical % Complete" for earned value method. Am I missing something?

Spyros

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hi Spyrosnb,

by updating actual hours worked, user cannot mess with the actual task progress of the project. user basically only reports his part of the project in terms of actual number of hours he has perfromed + remaining hours + actual start/finish date. once the update goes to the PM, the PM can then accept/reject the update and let project progress calcuates automatically based on the user input. Here PM still has the option to change the task actual/remaining work to adjust the project progress as per his desire.

you can read this blog to better understand about the tracking methods and the way they behave:

hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Khuram thanks for the info.

But the percentage completion is actually affected by the user's timesheet import. Let's say that a task has 20 hours estimated effort. If a user reports that they worked 22 hours and we import the actual values in the project, the task will automatically be marked as completed, with a completion percentage of 100%. However that is not the desired behaviour in our client's organization.

For me the concept of task completion state must be independent of the actual work/estimated work ratio, especially in I.T. projects, where only the P.M. and the team leaders are aware of the actual task completion state. The end user/team member/developer should not be responsible of reporting the task progress on their own, just the hours that they dedicated in this task. Is this scenario possible with EPM?

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:19 PM
  • I agree with Mike and Khurram, but if the behavior is troubling you, you
    can turn it off in the project plan.  Open the project in Microsoft Project
    Professional, select File > Options > Schedule and deselect the Updating
    Task Status Updates Resource Status box.  Save and publish the schedule.

If it's the Status field that's driving your requirement, I would recommend
    ignoring it.  IMHO, the status field doesn't calculate properly if the schedule
    is being updated correctly anyway.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:09 PM
  • IMHO, in an ideal situation the team member is the one that knows how many hours he has already worked and also how many hours are still remaining. It needs discipline to estimate remaining hours and might need a culture change in the organization. From personal experience (both as team member and project manager) I can say that it does work pretty well once this process is followed correctly.

Just my 2 cents,

Quint

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:40 PM