Hide from Exchange Address list works in EMC but not from ADUC RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Exchange 2010 Version 14.3 (Build 123.4) in a 2008 AD environment. When hiding users from the GAL we found when performing this task from AD Users and Computers the box is check and we verify that it is checked in EMC but the user remains visible. This can be an active user or a disabled user. The results are the same. But when checking the box "Hide from Exchange address list" in the EMC the change is visible instantly. We can verify that both in the GAL and from OWA. It had worked prior but now is no longer effective from ADUC even though the box is checked in the EMC. I can check the box in ADUC and verify in Power shell HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled : True yet the user is not hidden. I assume that ADUC is fully integrated with Exchange but the changes are only effective from Exchange
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:16 PM

Answers

• yes, we can't hide mailboxes/mail enabled accounts from ADUC in exchange 2010 environment. we have to use EMC or PowerShell.

Regards John

• Marked as answer by Steve Of PA Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:01 PM

All replies

• How many domain controllers are in your environment, and how long after you make this change are you waiting to see if the change has taken effect?  Also, the ADUC isn't integrated with Exchange, and hasn't been since Exchange 2003.  I have to assume you are using an Exchange 2003 copy of the ADUC, if you are seeing this check box in the ADUC, since I don't see it in any Windows 2008 ADUC console in my Exchange 2010 environment.
    • Proposed as answer by Johnpaul J Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:49 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:35 PM
  • There are 3 2008 DC. I can see the change instantly on the EMC and in Power Shell. When the changes are made via the EMC the changes are instant. When made from ADUC they never update. I think you hit the nail on the head with the versions. I have only been here about 10 months and recently (2 months ago) fully decommission our 2003 Exchange which was hanging around for some time. Since I had experience I followed procedure and decommissioned the 2003 environment. Now as far ADUC my copy is Active Directory Users and Computers Version: 6.1.7601.17514

I can assume from what I am reading that even though the check box and tabs for Exchange can be added, they do not function completely from ADUC? I just need to provide our Help Desk with a "best practices" They have been disabling and hiding users via ADUC for years and claim it just stopped working.

So is it a correct statement that Exchange 2010 and above attributes can no longer be changed via ADUC?

~Steve

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:50 PM
  • yes, we can't hide mailboxes/mail enabled accounts from ADUC in exchange 2010 environment. we have to use EMC or PowerShell.

Regards John

• Marked as answer by Steve Of PA Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:01 PM