windows 7 shortcut in Start menu program group doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• In Vista, XP, and all previous versions of Windows, (even 3.x), it was possible to place a shortcut of my \\Server\Manuals folder in a Programs Group, and then open up that shortcut as if it were a program group.  On the Start Menu of Vista, it appears as any other folder in Programs and works correctly.

In Windows 7, Program Group shortcuts are broken.  I can see them and click on them, but nothing happens.  It allows me to right click and choose 'Open'.  But that opens another window, which later must be closed, and falls way short of the convenience of clicking a Start Menu item.

Is there a way to return the shortcut functionality to Windows 7 Start Menu Program Groups?

-WDS- Disk failures only happen to those who fail to backup.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 5:53 PM

Answers

• Hi backp admin,

I understood what you mean as I test in a virtual pc.

This kind of Start Menu doesn't exist in Windows 7, this behavior is by design.

If you really want to use that classic Start Menu, refer to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-windows-7/.

(Note: Since the site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. There could be some risks to use some tools in internet. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

You can submit your feedback to the product team:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195   

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, August 29, 2011 5:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

Please follow these steps:

1. Create the shortcuts on your Desktop, then create a folder on Desktop and put the shortcuts in it.

2. Click Start, right-click All Programs, choose "Open All Users", drag that Manuals folder into this.

After the above, you can find that Manuals folder in Start Menu and use it for all users.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:45 AM
  • No, that doesn't restore the functionality that every previous version of Windows provided.  When I follow your procedure on Windows 7, not only does it continue to open another window that must be closed, but it requires me to go one level deeper to launch that window.  Neither do I want to launch an unnecessary window, nor do I want to drill down an extra unnecessary level.

Please try this in Vista so you can understand what I'm talking about.  Create a Shortcut to a folder in the Programs area of the Start menu.  That shortcut will act just like a Program Group so that clicking on it reveals the contents of the folder, and a document or application can be launched from the Start menu. 

However, in Windows 7, the shortcut to a network folder or share, (not a shortcut to an application or document), can only serve to launch an additional window.  The entire purpose and convenience of the Start menu is lost in Windows 7 when a Program Group launches as an additional window rather than an expanding branch of a tree.

• Edited by Rain Dance Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:48 PM missing words
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Hi backp admin,

I understood what you mean as I test in a virtual pc.

This kind of Start Menu doesn't exist in Windows 7, this behavior is by design.

If you really want to use that classic Start Menu, refer to this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-windows-7/.

(Note: Since the site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. There could be some risks to use some tools in internet. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

You can submit your feedback to the product team:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195   

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Regards,

Miya

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, August 29, 2011 5:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:46 AM
  • How's it going?

I hope the workaround could help you achieve that.

Regards,

Miya

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:02 AM
  • The link you provided for feedback leads me to a page in which any attempt to describe the problem says "The answer to the question is too long".

How can I give feedback?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:26 PM
  • I've already reported this to the product team for you. Don't worry about it.

Regards,

Miya

Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:44 AM