Trouble with Windows Aero RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, Windows Aero was working perfectly for me until today. Last night I turned off my computer, and today I turned it back on, only to find that Windows Aero had randomly vanished. In its place is the Windows Basic theme. Turning various Aero Themes on in the Peronalization window does not work. I have also tried the Aero Troubleshooting program, which does not work either. Is this just a beta bug? Any way to fix it? Help is much appreciated. :)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:38 PM

Answers

• Calamarth,

Something has obviously become corrupted. There are two things that might help. First, running a disk check. Second when you go into the windows update screen, on the bottom of the left pane, there is a link to 'Installed updates'. In that screen you can uninstall the driver update and then let it re-download and install. Or you can go to the ATI website to get the latest drivers.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:08 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Have you tried rebooting again?
    Try a restore point from an earlier time before this happened.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:42 PM
  • I have tried both. Should also mention that the graphics card is a HD4870X2 with the accompanying ATI Windows 7 Drivers, version 8.612. Attempting to update the drivers through Device Manager, I simply get a note saying that I already have the latest drivers installed. (Which is true. So there shouldn't be any problem...)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Try rerunning the WEI assessment. What value is given for the graphics card?
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Desktop Performance for Windows Aero - 6.0

In case it's somehow related, I am as of today also getting screen tearing whilst watching video in VLC.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Calamarth,

Something has obviously become corrupted. There are two things that might help. First, running a disk check. Second when you go into the windows update screen, on the bottom of the left pane, there is a link to 'Installed updates'. In that screen you can uninstall the driver update and then let it re-download and install. Or you can go to the ATI website to get the latest drivers.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:08 PM
    Answerer
  • I uninstalled the drivers through Device Manager, and reinstalled it with a downloaded version of the drivers from ATI's website. Upon reinstallation, Windows Aero worked successfully again. Last question though: how could this have happened? I hadn't done any changes to the computer hardware/software between I shut it down last night and when I turned it on this morning. Can these things happen completely randomly? Is it likely to happen again?

Thank you to both dwolters and Lead3, for super-quick responses. :)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Calamarth,

This could be several things, and it will be hard to pin it down... Have you checked into newer chipset drivers? Have you checked the event log for any errors? It could have happened before you shut it down, but since the drivers were loaded already, it didn't take effect until the restart. I had some issues not long ago from overheating drives... I had to separate them inside the case to allow better airflow.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 7:05 PM
    Answerer