Installed PowerShell version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All , 

I was trying to learn more about the new PowerShell 7 and it's features , Then i realized that my laptop which was recently imaged have version 5.1 although the Windows build is the latest.

I'm just confused , why Windows doesn't have at least PowerShell 6 by default since it was released a while back ? 

I'm asking that because if i want write a script that will run on other windows machines I need to worry about the PS version on those machines 

Thoughts ?

Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:57 PM

All replies

• PowerShell 6.x is not a Microsoft program.  PowerShell 7 is not the default version of PowerShell and cannot replace PS 5.1

I recommend that you start by learning both PowerShell and Computer technology.  Don't get caught up in numbers that you have no understanding of.  They are not helpful before you learn computer technology.

I will leave you with this - Microsoft has confused the issue by making it sound like PS 7 is an upgrade to previous versions of PS.  It isn't.  It is a cross platform program that allows development of scripts that work on many platforms but cannot yet replace PowerShell.

Once you learn basic computer science and technology all of this will become more understandable.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 18, 2020 12:45 AM