access denied after windows updates applied and reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I have one windows server (2008 R2 datacenter) which is also our primary domain controller. Somehow, every time I apply new Windows updates to the server and reboot it, the server comes back and I could not log in as any domain users including administrator telling me "access denied". Then I had to shut down the server and boot back on and I am able to log in.

I also have a windows 7 workstation having the same issue. I had to reboot the workstation to the safe mode and then reboot it again to be able to log in. 

Very weird! Anyone runs into the same problem by any chance? Any clue on this issue?

Thank you very much!

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean that a reboot will fix the issue?

If this issue can be fixed by a reboot, it's hard to find the update which causes this issue. Otherwise, we can remove the installed updates one by one to find the specific update which casues this issue.

Besides, have you installed KB3097877? I have seen some threads that this update may cause logon failure.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, December 28, 2015 2:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, January 7, 2016 12:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean that a reboot will fix the issue?

If this issue can be fixed by a reboot, it's hard to find the update which causes this issue. Otherwise, we can remove the installed updates one by one to find the specific update which casues this issue.

Besides, have you installed KB3097877? I have seen some threads that this update may cause logon failure.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, December 28, 2015 2:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, January 7, 2016 12:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:22 AM
  • I have one windows 2008 R2 server and one Windows 7 workstation having this issue. For server, I normally just reboot the server and the issue seems gone. For workstation, I had to reboot the workstation into safe mode and boot back into normal to be able to get the issue going away. Both the server and workstation had KB3097877 installed. I removed it from both. I'll see if the issue comes back or not. So far so good since I removed KB3097877.
    Monday, December 28, 2015 3:51 PM