none
Project Online not synching tasks to consultants MySite tasks list in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We are implementing a new Sharepoint/O365/Project Online solution. This is not an on-premises install.

What we are trying to achieve seems like it should be simple, but so far it is not.

We are having issues when creating tasks in Project and assigning to our various personnel. From our understanding they should see the tasks in their MySite site, where they can view the task list/change to calendar view, etc. We are not seeing this happen.

We are assigning the tasks, of course, using Sharepoint identities. We expect these tasks to populate the appropriate MySite task lists.

Is there a site setting or feature that we need to enable? Am I correct in assuming that a data view web part would not be needed? We are not looking to sync entire lists from Project to the MySites tasks, ONLY those tasks that are given to the specific owner of the Mysite.

We have Project Functionality and Project Web App Connectivity both activated in the MySite site features.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

have you configured synchronization as outlined in http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=38799 ?

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:18 PM
  • There isn't anything in that document needed for an all Online implementation Barbara - it should just work.  rg1164 - do the users see the tasks if they go to My Tasks in PWA?  Are they licensed PWA users?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:56 PM
    Owner
  • I'm working with rg on this project. With the user in question, the tasks do show up in the "my tasks" section of the PWA. The weird thing is, when we sync a project, a second task list shows up on the user's mysite. It does not have the calendaring capability which makes it somewhat pointless, but the tasks will auto-populate it. One has a URL that has "personal" in it and the other has "alltasks" in it. Unfortunately, the one that is populating with project tasks does not have a calendar view and cannot be sync'd with the outlook calendar, however it will sync to an outlook task list.

Very odd. It seems we're missing some type of parameter or something easy, but we've been banging our heads on the table re this one for far too long. Please help!

Friday, July 5, 2013 5:25 AM
  • This sounds like a project is being sync'd directly with the MySite hmvez - which could create a new task list.  The 'real' Task list in My Site - which would have a Url something like https://domain-my.sharepoint.com/personal/username_domain_onmicrosoft.com/allTasks.aspx is an aggregation of all tasks assigned to the user - from Project Online plans, SharePoint task lists and Outlook tasks - if you have Exchange Online in the same tenant.  Based on that description exactly which piece isn't working for you?

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

• Marked as answer by rg1164 Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:05 PM
    Friday, July 5, 2013 4:42 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

Thank you for the response. The task list that is auto-populating and aggregating does not have a calendar view. This does not allow us to sync to a calendar - only an outlook task list which will significantly hurt our adoption. Does that make sense?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:24 PM
  • An addenudum - the real task list - the URL "alltasks" is not autopopulating. When syncing a project, it creates the new task list.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:29 PM
  • I understand hmvez.  The alltasks.aspx (My Tasks) isn't a task list as such - which is why there is no option to have a calendar view.  It is populated from tasks that come from other SharePoint sites, Projects and even Outlook tasks.  Sorry - the calendar view is not available.  One option is the timeline, which will be displayed if you select the 'Important and Upcoming' view.  You could probably do something programmatically - but the timeline is the best out of the box option I can come up with.

Best regards,

Brian. 

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:02 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

All that we are trying to do is sync MS Project tasks to people's mysite and be able to sync their aggregated tasks to their outlook calendars. My understanding is this is standard functionality. What are we missing, here?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Sorry hmvez, that functionality is not available from the aggregated task page as it is not just a simple task list.  It is not standard functionality of the mysite.  Did you read somewhere that it was?

Best regards,

Brian

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:10 PM
    Owner