none
The group policy client failed the logon. Access is denied. RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot open my computer, I get this message. It is a personal computer and I am the only user so i can't log on with an administrator account. I can press f8 to get to that screen, but don't know what to do after that. I found Pianiste on one of the forums who had the same issue about a year ago but could not see if she was able to solve this problem. The person who sold me the computer set it up so that I would not need a password. It is Windows 7. Would appreciate it if anyone can help me with this. Thanks in advance. sorry if this is the wrong forum, can't see which one would be better.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:23 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Is there any change before this issue?

Please check if you could select Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) option in Advanced Boot Options screen.

Please check if you could boot into safe mode.

Here are steps to enter safe mode.

1. Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options.

2. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight the Safe Mode and press Enter.

If yes, you could try to create a new user account to see if it can work.

And you could also see if there is a restore point for you to do a system restore.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Although F8 didn't work, F9 got me to a screen Select Boot Device with 3 choices, Notebook Hard Drive,Notebook MultiBay, and Network Controller. When you get a chance, if you have an idea what to do next, let me know, would appreciate it. I can't afford another computer right now. I previously tried to do the restore point procedure but that didn't work.

Thanks for responding to me.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:42 PM
  • PS: It also says that I can hit F10 ROM Based Setup. Also, I have gotten into safe mode before, let me know if that would be better.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

Could you log in successfully before this issue?

Is there any change before this issue?

If you enter safe mode, please try to create a new user account to see if it can work.

Please check if there is any event created in System and Application of Event Viewer.

Please try to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check system files and recovery corrupted files, here are steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.

Here is a link may help you solve the problem.

How to fix "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access denied." error?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/moiqubal/2012/03/04/how-to-fix-the-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-logon-access-denied-error/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:56 AM
  • Hi Vera,

For some reason the computer I am using to send this loses it's internet connection if you stop using it for about 10 minutes. I went through every part of F8, F9,etc., and wrote a detailed respnse but it kind of washed away while I worked on the injured computer, will do it again but don't have time right now.

My computer was previously working slow but well and I was able to sign on before this happened. It was set up so that I would not need a password for Windows to open, so when I encounter changing my password in these forums I am at a loss.

I looked at the link, thanks for finding and sending it, many there shared my problem. The closest anyone there came to me was Sam October19, 2014, however his Step 2 on F8 Safe Mode did not take me to a Log On screen. I don't know how to log in as an administrator on any of the F stops, but if you can tell me which stop to use  and how to log in as an administrator, that would help a lot. I have seen this mentioned many times but no actual instructions on how this is done or what it looks like, and I will google that. And if you can tell me which F stop  to create a user account that would be great. Again, going through all of the F's I didn't see System and Application of Events, not experienced enough to know what an event would look like. I also wasn't able to  find the System File Checker tool on any of the F stops . Would appreciate it if you would tell me how to get to Command Prompt as an administrator so I can type in sfc/scannow. 

Although I do lack computer training if someone gives me exact instructions I can follow them and duplicate the action. I am a band musician and have taught many players what to play, and even if they don't understand exactly what they are playing, if they just do what I tell them to they can sound alright, so in that light I hope you help me out with this, however if it's too much, I get it, and thanks for everything you have sent. Like I said before , soon when I get another couple of hours I will go through the F's to let you know what is on them. There was one with a command prompt flashing, just didn't know what to put there, will find it again

Best,

Standard (Steve) Staples

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:28 PM