none
Collection based on compliance of a software update group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm looking at having a collection that links to a software update group and shows all machines that were part of the deployment which reported an error like the 8 machines in the image below.

We have 3 phases of updates deployment, phase 1 IT Machines to test initial deployment, phase 2 live testing (selected machines for testing) then Phase 3 full deployment. My Aim is to have 3 collections for each deployment phase that only show the machines that have encountered errors so I can manage the erroring machines easier. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Lee

Monday, November 6, 2017 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no built-in function for creating collection based on deployment compliance state. You may need to write your own WQL Query to built your collection. Below is an example:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System  join SMS_SUMDeploymentAssetDetails dad on SMS_R_System.resourceID = dad.resourceID where dad.assignmentID = '<assignmentID>' and dad.StatusType = '5'

Basically, it's retriving data from WMI Class SMS_SUMDeploymentAssetDetails, you have to give assignmentID which you can get from admin console.

The property StatusType =  5 means Error. More detail information for wmi class SMS_SUMDeploymentAssetDetails, read below link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh458243.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Lee Speers Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no built-in function for creating collection based on deployment compliance state. You may need to write your own WQL Query to built your collection. Below is an example:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System  join SMS_SUMDeploymentAssetDetails dad on SMS_R_System.resourceID = dad.resourceID where dad.assignmentID = '<assignmentID>' and dad.StatusType = '5'

Basically, it's retriving data from WMI Class SMS_SUMDeploymentAssetDetails, you have to give assignmentID which you can get from admin console.

The property StatusType =  5 means Error. More detail information for wmi class SMS_SUMDeploymentAssetDetails, read below link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh458243.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Lee Speers Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:49 AM
  • Collections aren't for monitoring status though, that's what reports are for. Using collections for this puts an extra strain on the collection evaluator and collections aren't real-time reflections either so using it to track progress really is not a good idea.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Hi Frank, 

That worked as expected, Thanks.

Hi Jason,

I'm not using it to monitor but to put them in a collection so I can deploy a hotfix to.

Thanks

Lee

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Sorry, but what's the point of that? Does this hotfix somehow depend upon another hotfix? Are you using software updates to do deploy this hotfix?

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 1:37 PM
  • because the windows update agent needed upgrading as for some reason it broke on 700+ machines installing the latest version rectified the issue and re-registering the dll's, this was a last resort as other fixes I had tried had not worked, as windows updates were failing then a package with my fix was better than pushing it out to fail again via the normal update process.Compliance is now up from 40% to 95%.

May not be best practice but it works and achieved the same result.

Thanks

Lee

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:49 PM
  • OK. Honestly, whatever works. It's also interesting (and educational) to not only know what folks are doing but why they are doing it which is why I asked.

As for the WUA, keeping this up to date is essential.

And as for "Best practices", only fool's spend their time worrying about them because they are truly fool's gold.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:09 PM
  • Hi Jason,

no problem, we are always learning :)

Yes definitely, I've only recently taken over updates so its all a learning curve.

haha yes I agree best practices are great in a lab not so great in the real world.

Thanks

Lee

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:53 PM