Fallback Distribution Points - Im getting a bit lost... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have two distribution points, duplicates and they contain all of the content within my local infrastucture (DP1 and DP2).

I have been requested by other remote departments in different locations that they wish to have their own Distribution Points to cater for PXE and also to ensure quick delivery of content.

I have setup additional DP's and have distibuted only what these depts need onto them.

I have an AD Site Boundary which is used for Site Assigment only, and i have other boundaries based on IP Range for Content delivery from specified DP.

OK, seeing as these remote location will have DPs with only mimumum content i have enabled DP1 and DP2 as fallback Content Server so that cleints in remoe locations can access content not on their DP.

My problem seems to be that local clients serviced by DP1 and DP2 cannot seem to get content unless i specify in the Application "deployment type" 'Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content' and Downlocad content from Distribution Point and run locally'

is this the correct behaviour, ? Im sure ive missed here but cant put my finger on it...?

If a local DP is assigned as a Fallback Source, does that now mean that all content on that DP must also be set to "Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content' and Downlocad content from Distribution Point and run locally' ?

many thanks...

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:13 PM

All replies

• You would have to list the detailed configuration. What boundaries were added to which boundary group? Which DP was assigned to what boundary group? etc
    But basically you do not have to enable 'Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content' for clients serviced by DP1/2.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:43 PM
  • OK, Shall break this down...

we have 3 boundaries

AD site Boundary Group  - Bounafry Type Default-First-Site-Name -  Site Assingment only

HQ boundary Group - Boundary Type IP Range - 10.1.1.0 to 10.1.1.255 - Content Servers DP1 and DP2

Remote Boundary - Boundary Type IP Range - 10.1.2.0 to 10.1.2.255 - Content Server DP3

I have DP1 and DP2 enabled as fallback sources, so thatclients in 'remote' can get apps not located on their DP3.

What im seeing is that cleints located in HQ, when they request apps located on DP1 and DP2 , it will fail unless i also enable the deployment type to "Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content' and Downlocad content from Distribution Point and run locally"

My assumption is that the clients in HQ should be able to obtain their content even if the deployment type is not configured to alow fallback.

You mentioned that..

"But basically you do not have to enable 'Allow clients to use a fallback source location for content' for clients serviced by DP1/2."

Seeing as DP1 and DP2 are the main content servers, how do i go about ensuring other cleints can user them as fallback sources, if i make them fall back sources then do i have to enalbe all applications with that fallback ssetting on their deployment type?

Thanks..

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:03 AM