DAG member no longer active exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

We have taken over a customer with Exchange 2010 and they had a 2 server DAG setup. Problem is that the DAG member has been offline for over a year but not removed from the DAG configuration in Exchange.  I guess i can remove the server from the DAG membership but the server will still be "present" in my AD. 

Since it´s not supported? to manually remove Exchange 2010 do i need to install a server with recovery switch and then uninstall it?

Regards

Martin

Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:40 AM

Answers

• Hi

Yes best would be to recover the server and then clean uninstall it. It is more work but wont give you issues down the line when you upgrade to a higher version etc.

Microsoft PFE

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, September 5, 2016 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:03 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi

Yes best would be to recover the server and then clean uninstall it. It is more work but wont give you issues down the line when you upgrade to a higher version etc.

Microsoft PFE

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, September 5, 2016 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:03 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:46 AM
  • Hi Martin,

For your question, I wan to confirm:
    1. Is there any other server role in Exchange server?
    2. Does this mailbox server or mailbox database copies in this server has been offline over a year?

As Edward mentioned, it's recommend to build other DAG members to achieve high available.

Furthermore, please remove database copies, and this useless member server from DAG before uninstall it.
    Note that you can only remove DAG members of a healthy DAG.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by Allen_WangJF Saturday, September 3, 2016 10:09 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, September 5, 2016 2:05 PM
    Saturday, September 3, 2016 9:58 AM