Windows 7 Compatiblity with Visual Studio 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running Windows7 RC and I recently installed Visual Studio 2008 Full and the XNA 3.0 SDK because I needed it for school. I received a warning during install that SQL Server 2005 is not compatible, but I continued with the install hoping that I might be able to find an update for this issue. The install completed successfully and everything seemed to be fine, but I have an issue when trying to save my projects. Sometimes (most of the time) when I save my project, VS prompts me to save the file and a Save File As window pops up. But if I try to overwrite the existing file I get an error that says: 'The operation could not be completed. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'. But I found, after a fit of frustration,  that if I continually click save and cancel out of the dialog box, it will eventually save without the dialog box, like it should. I'm not sure if there is a fix for this, but I can tell you it is extremely frustrating when I am trying to get my homework done. Any suggestions would be helpful :(

Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:03 PM

Answers

• Greetings jcalabris,

Whenever you install any VS add-ins you will get the problem while saving the project in Visual studio. To resolve the issue you need to reset the settings to avoid such errors, so you have to follow below two steps to reset the settings

1) Open command prompt
    2) run "devenv /ResetSettings"

You can find similar discussion on the issue which you are facing here http://ironpythonstudio.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=41296.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Harish
    • Marked as answer by Shruti Mishra Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:57 PM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 12:29 PM