Project Professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded a copy of Project Professional 2010 for evaluation but it wont install. I am running windows 7 x64. Does anyone know why this is the case? Its not showing any error messages, its exiting before completion of file extraction. Thanks.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 12:45 AM

Answers

• Hello Chiyanjano

You cannot run a mix trial or beta Office 2010 with a real versions (RTM) of Project Professional 2010. The reason is because, the RTM version looks for any beta or trial components and if it finds them, it halts the installation and tells you to remove previous components.  This is what you are seeing.

My recommendation is to run trial and beta software in a Virtual PC environment.  Virtual PS is free and it keeps your registry cleaner.  I would even run open source or free software in a VPC for testing before installing on production workstaions.  Run tested and true (purchased) software on you production workstations.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    • Proposed as answer by KamW Monday, June 14, 2010 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chiyanjano Monday, June 28, 2010 2:16 PM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 2:24 PM

All replies

• Maybe a corrupt download?  Have you tried the same file on a different machine?
    Friday, June 11, 2010 2:12 AM
  • Hi Chiyanjano,

Do you have any Office 2010 Beta products installed?  You cannot install the trial software on top of Beta software.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by Chiyanjano Monday, June 14, 2010 8:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chiyanjano Monday, June 14, 2010 8:07 AM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Yes I tried the same file on a different machine and also I downloaded a copy of new installer but still it wont work.

Monday, June 14, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Hi Julie,

I have office 2010 professional full version not the beta one. Its a copy I got from the evaluation center. Does this still matter?

Chiyanjano.

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:00 AM
  • So you have the Full version of 2010 Professional already installed, and you want to put the trial version on the same machine?  My hunch is that even Microsoft didn't test the trial on top of a fully functional setup. 

What are you trying to accomplish by installing the trial version on a machine that already has the full version?  Is it really important that this work?  Why not just use the full version (which I presume you have activated?)?

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I have installed a trial version of Office 2010 professional and wanted to install Project Professional 2010 real versions, is it not possible to install it with a trial version of Office installed?

• Edited by Chiyanjano Monday, June 14, 2010 8:49 AM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:29 AM
  • I now understand that you have a TRIAL version of Office 2010 installed and you want to put a REAL version of Project Pro 2010 on that machine. This is different than the first question above where you said you have a TRIAL version of Project Pro 2010.  

Sorry, I have no experience or knowledge of all these permutations.  Somebody here might.

My hunch is that the REAL version of Project Pro 2010 has nothing to do with the install of Office (TRIAL or REAL) and should work.  They are independent products.  If it doesn't, it's something probably corrupted on your Windows or perhaps you have found a bug.  I don't know. 

However, as Julie says BETA version of Office or BETA versions or Project could mess things up if on the same machine. That's what BETA software sometimes does with machines.. which is why they call it BETA. However, you do not report you ever had BETA software on your machine.  But if you have had BETA software on the machine, remove it all.

Perhaps try any or all of the following

1.  Remove the TRIAL Office and try installing REAL Project (not sure this will fix anything but it would be something I would do).

2.  Restore Windows to a prior version (perhaps one prior to installing TRIAL Office) and try putting REAL Project on top of that.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Hello Chiyanjano

You cannot run a mix trial or beta Office 2010 with a real versions (RTM) of Project Professional 2010. The reason is because, the RTM version looks for any beta or trial components and if it finds them, it halts the installation and tells you to remove previous components.  This is what you are seeing.

My recommendation is to run trial and beta software in a Virtual PC environment.  Virtual PS is free and it keeps your registry cleaner.  I would even run open source or free software in a VPC for testing before installing on production workstaions.  Run tested and true (purchased) software on you production workstations.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    • Proposed as answer by KamW Monday, June 14, 2010 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chiyanjano Monday, June 28, 2010 2:16 PM
    Monday, June 14, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Thanks Michael.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Thanks for the help Rob.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:17 PM