Server 2016 WSUS & SQL Trust Relationship Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing WSUS on Server 2016 and also SQL 2016 on Server 2016.  I've tried untinalling both SQL and WSUS, unjoining the domain and rejoining, I tried SQL 2014 and have the same issue. I'm running out of ideas.

When I run WSUS post config either from the GUI or from powershell I get the error "Fatal Error: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed."  Both servers are connected to the domain and functioning correctly as far as I can tell.  WSUS does talk to SQL long enough to create the DB.

Postconfig command: wsusutil.exe postinstall SQL_INSTANCE_NAME=wsus-sql\wsus2016 CONTENT_DIR=E:\WSUS_Updates

End of the Log: 

...END

2017-07-12 14:49:25  Install type is: Reinstall
    2017-07-12 14:49:25  Creating logins...
    2017-07-12 14:49:25  Fetching machine account info
    2017-07-12 14:49:25  Found principal
    2017-07-12 14:49:25  Disposing Connection
    2017-07-12 14:49:25  Clearing Connection Pools
    2017-07-12 14:49:25  System.SystemException: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

at System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier.TranslateToNTAccounts(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceSids, Boolean& someFailed)
       at System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier.Translate(IdentityReferenceCollection sourceSids, Type targetType, Boolean forceSuccess)
       at System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier.Translate(Type targetType)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.GetMachineAccountInfo(Byte[]& binarySid, String& accountName)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Configure()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Run(String instanceName, Action`1 logWriter, Boolean contentLocal)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hello,

According to the error message, I suggest you remove your computer from the domain and rejoin to the domain. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:45 AM
  • Thanks I had tried that multiple times but it did not help, turns out it was a bad computer object, unjoining the domain, deleting the object and rejoining solved the issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, July 14, 2017 8:35 AM
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:44 PM