"page properties" web part seems to be a cake not quite baked RRS feed

• Question

• So I see the "page properties" web part that appears to be only available to "modern" ui pages. What I'd like to be able to do is show all the default values listed in site pages library columns on the page itself. On the face of it, it seemed like page properties should do the trick, but the only accessible value is "Title". That's a bit like Ford saying you can have any color model T as long as it was black.

So my question is, what is the plan for improving the "page properties" web part. Discussion I have seen alludes to adding columns to the site pages lib would show up in the add option, nah that don't work currently.

Robin

Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How are things going?

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Robin4 Monday, January 21, 2019 2:54 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2019 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi robin,

You can add more custom properties in the "page properties" web part. You need to add columns in the Pages Library(not site pages library). Then this custom properties can be selected in the web part.

Note:

1. This web part will only display "Title"(of default columns in Pages library), other columns like "Created" or "Modified" cannot be display in this web part.

2. If you want to display the columns like "Created" or "Modified" in the web part, you can add some calculated columns which have same values with these columns, then you can add these calculated columns in the "page properties" web part.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Allen,

Your illustration shows "Site Pages" as the location where your "test column" heading shows, which I interpret as being in the "Site Pages" library. So I'm confused...

Getting the (+) in modern editor is possible when editing modern page style, and it is in this UI that choosing "page properties" becomes available. 

So far I have been unable to create a "modern" page in the pages library to test the additional column. The page properties on a site pages lib page does not show any other column, and I can't drop a modern page into the pages lib. (not a criticism for you, but what a goofy way to add features Microsoft!)

Adding a column titled "choices" with 3 choices 1,2,3 in the "Pages" library has no effect whatsoever on the properties that show up under page details, nor is the property "choices" showing up in the page properties web part.

What am I missing?

Could it be that I simply need to wait for the next content crawl on the tenant?

Robin

• Edited by Robin4 Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:15 PM
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 6:48 PM
  • It seems I can add columns to site pages or pages libraries (or to the content types) but before the properties are seen in the page details or page properties webpart, you have to unseal the site pages content type. https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Unseal-sealed-content-654ac401

sigh!

Robin

Sunday, January 13, 2019 11:25 PM
  • Allen,

thanks for the info, it put me on the road to finding the answer. At least I can now see the new columns in page properties web part and page details...

Question on your second point about "Created" and "Modified" not showing... and doing a calculated column. Since this is captured as a root feature of SharePoint, is there a way that you know of to simply create a new set of columns like "PageCreated" and "PageModified" as a lookup to the site pages metadata? We're trying to showcase in the page (all pages in this library) when and by whom it was created and modified.

I tried creating 2 lookup columns called PageCreated, and PageModified and having them "lookup" Created and Modified respectively, but when I look at the Page Details, it tells me to select an option rather than displaying the lookup column data...

Thanks!

Robin

Robin

• Edited by Robin4 Sunday, January 13, 2019 11:48 PM
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 11:35 PM
  • Hi Robin,

From you description, you want to display the in-built properties of the pages in Page Properties web part. 

You may be disappointed, I cannot find a way to display the columns like Created or Modified. From my test, both lookup and calculated column are not worked(Sorry for talking about calculated column before). 

Note: lookup column needs you select an option manually, it will not auto display a value.

As a workaround, you can click "Page details" button to view the properties(for displaying the Created date, you need to create a lookup column and manually select value for it).

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Monday, January 14, 2019 2:04 AM
  • I'd be happy with a script that I could imbed into a page that would then display on the page the properties in question. I found this: http://schoennie.blogspot.com/2014/08/display-page-properties-in-sharepoint.html which claims to be the answer, but I can't get the script to do anything of value.

Closest I have gotten is to use a document lib web part on the page, then filter it down to show the current page only, and the created, created by, modified, modified by metadata. It works, but requires a bit of setup time for each page... Was hoping for something I could put in script form and put in a webpart to show on current page. 

Robin

• Edited by Robin4 Monday, January 14, 2019 2:33 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Hi Robin,

Using document library web part and filter it is not a good solution because it is so inconvenient if there are many pages.

I think for default metadata such as Created, Modified you may have to build a custom SPFx webpart that fetches this information for the current page and displays it. If you want to have this on all the site pages, you'll need a provisioning process to place the webpart automatically when a page is created or place it manually when you create a page.

Read below article to learn more about SharePoint Framework (SPFx):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/spfx/enterprise-guidance  

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going?

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

• Marked as answer by Robin4 Monday, January 21, 2019 2:54 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Allen, The root question here is as yet unanswered, albeit you gave this the old college try and I'll mark as "answer" for at least defining the boundaries. 

Calculated or lookup columns don't work. Yes I can add columns to the page properties (once I unseal the site pages content type) and see the columns in that, but the dates don't show, so the function does not work.An

FWIW page properties show for columns created in "site pages" library, so long as the content type is unsealed. This does not have to be put in "Pages" list.

Your suggestion to create a webpart in SPFx to "fetch and display" the metadata is interesting and I'm digging into that. If anybody has hints to this method, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the collaboration.

Robin

Monday, January 21, 2019 2:54 PM
  • So I created 4 new columns in Site Pages content type: Page_Created, Page_Modified, Page_CreatedBy, and Page_ModBy. I manually modified the library contents in quick edit copying all the Created default metadata columns and pasting into new columns. Once done I can call the new columns in Page Properties webpart and get dynamic info on page.

solution

This I think can be automated with Flow to populate new columns from existing and triggered when any changes made to the lib.

This is starting to look like a real solution.

Robin

• Edited by Robin4 Monday, January 21, 2019 5:02 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2019 5:00 PM