none
Disaster Recovery DPM Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

This may have been brought up already but I did not find anything on technet or here so I hope you can answer my question.

In case a site with DPM 2007 or 2010 completely fails and has to be restored, how would I go about restoring it if only short term protection on disk is available + USB drive with DPMDB and iSCSI device with replica data.

1. Restore DPM Server (how, if domain is lost ?)

2. Restore  DPMDB.

3. reconnect Storage drive containing replicas.

4. Restore Systemstates and data from servers previously protected by DPM from replicas

On the DPM technet site I found this sentence which I do not understand:

You cannot restore recovery points for data sources protected by the DPM server.

What does that mean ? That I cannot restore recovery points from DPM anymore ? But that is what the DPM Server is for, no ?

Thanks for your help,

Alex

Monday, June 7, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

• I think it means using other tools like SRT/Third party backup tools/DPM DR server, you can't recover the multiple recovery points into DPM server, so that DPM can use them to recover to protected servers. Its possible only if you have the original DPM servers disks and volumes intact as they were on the first DPM server. Hope this is more clear now.

To answer your question yes if you have the replica/recovery point disks and if you follow the procedure to restore DPM recovery points then you can recover all the data backed-up from previously protected production servers.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:42 AM

All replies

• Please find more data on how exactly DPM server is recovered at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808991.aspx. In your steps you have to swap 2 & 3 with each other. Can you please pass the link for the "You cannot restore recovery points for data sources protected by the DPM server" statement?
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hi Praveen,

thanks for the quick reply. The line:

"You cannot restore recovery points for data sources protected by the DPM server"

appears in the link you posted:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808991.aspx

I don not understand that. So to clarify: If DPM is restored, DPMDB is recovered and the drive containing replicas and recovery points (short term protection) is recovered, can I recover all data from all previously protected production servers ?

Thanks,
    Alex

Monday, June 7, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I think it means using other tools like SRT/Third party backup tools/DPM DR server, you can't recover the multiple recovery points into DPM server, so that DPM can use them to recover to protected servers. Its possible only if you have the original DPM servers disks and volumes intact as they were on the first DPM server. Hope this is more clear now.

To answer your question yes if you have the replica/recovery point disks and if you follow the procedure to restore DPM recovery points then you can recover all the data backed-up from previously protected production servers.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Thanks !
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:02 AM