Network Configuration Operators group privilege overrides User Rights Assignment to Change System Time RRS feed

• Question

• I have mobile PCs deployed with users needing to modify network (IPv4) configuration settings as deployment scenarios change and ALSO need to adjust/change system time in order to synchronize with other devices.

I have set the User Rights Assignment (Local Security Policy) to allow the user/group "Change System Time" rights.

When I add the user account to the "Network Configuration Operators" Group, that user loses the ability to "Change System Time"; in fact, when attempting to change time, the user is prompted with the UAC popup showing ONLY administrator accounts.

When I remove the user from the "Network Configuration Operators" group, the ability to "Change System Time" is restored.

I have tried to resolve this by adding the user to the "Power Users" group, but the conflict remains.

Users need to be able to both modify network configuration settings AND change system time without being added to the administrator group. How do I resolve this conflict?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:46 PM

Answers

• You might have to look at some 3rd party app for doing this. 

I think, there's an app from avecto for such scenarios. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:45 AM
  • With vista & Win 7,OS security is overwhelming at times,"Parental controls" are the problem.Try opening user

account,set to Adm,disable parental,retry youre networking settings.If it still fails,restart pc,press F8 key,normal

safe-mode,re-edit to above,restart pc.One can/could edit the service also,open cmd or run,type: services.msc

scroll to parental,double click,set to disable,exit.This,as with above sometimes only gets edited in safe-mode...

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Hi Roybtech,

By default, only users with administrator rights can change time and date settings. After you modify the User Right Assignment of change the system time. On the “Local Security Setting” tab of the properties window that pops up, note that by default, only the Administrators and LOCAL SERVICE groups are currently listed as having permission. Click “Add User or Group.”

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:07 AM

All replies

• You might have to look at some 3rd party app for doing this. 

I think, there's an app from avecto for such scenarios. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:45 AM
  • With vista & Win 7,OS security is overwhelming at times,"Parental controls" are the problem.Try opening user

account,set to Adm,disable parental,retry youre networking settings.If it still fails,restart pc,press F8 key,normal

safe-mode,re-edit to above,restart pc.One can/could edit the service also,open cmd or run,type: services.msc

scroll to parental,double click,set to disable,exit.This,as with above sometimes only gets edited in safe-mode...

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Hi Roybtech,

By default, only users with administrator rights can change time and date settings. After you modify the User Right Assignment of change the system time. On the “Local Security Setting” tab of the properties window that pops up, note that by default, only the Administrators and LOCAL SERVICE groups are currently listed as having permission. Click “Add User or Group.”

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Ask users to change in BIOS the date/time
    Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:19 AM