none
MS Project 2010 oddity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have a chap that uses Project 2010 at one office and again at another one. He has a roaming profile if he creates a .MPP file at say location A when he travels to location B the previously created .MPP file is only 2KB in size and will not open, if he creates another MPP file at location B all is fine until he returns to Location A where he can open the original .MPP file but the one created at location B now only shows 2KB and this will not open. The user has now had to result in emailing the file to himself to get around this issue, which is hardly an acceptable practice but this is what he has to do for continuity of his work. The other confusing aspect of this is that only .MPP files are affected word, excel, Powerpoint & PDF's are not affected. Anyone got any ideas that might possibly help. 
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:52 AM

All replies

• Fission Chips,

First of all is Project 2010 fully updated? It should be version 14.0.7176.5000. If not run Windows Update.

I'm trying to understand the location A, location B scenario. Is Project installed on a laptop that the user takes from one location to another? If not, what exactly does the user have and what is a "roaming profile"?

Once we better understand how the user uses Project, then we may be able to offer help.

John

Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Hi John,

Project is installed on the Desktop PC at both locations.

The user signs in with his roaming profile when the file is saved and the user goes to the other office they would expect to be able to work on the original file, but it is almost like only a shortcut is available although it is not a shortcut it is a MMP file that is only 2KB in size that cannot be opened. however when the user returns to the other location the full file is there to use.

But mmp files created in the other location also only appear as a 2KB file that cannot be opened.  

Only project is behaving like this, all other file types are fine and fully available in both locations.

This is really confusing and I have exhausted my powers of deduction hence the posting.

Friday, November 17, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Fission Chips,

You didn't answer the question about whether Project is fully updated (i.e. what is the version number)?

When you say he signs in with his "roaming profile" do you simply mean he logs in to a multi-user PC with his login name and password?

What exactly do you mean by, "signs in . . . when the file is saved"? Maybe that sentence needs some punctuation because it doesn't make a lot of sense as written.

If he is using different PCs, are the Project files stored on a common server or how is a given Project file made available on both PCs?

Do any other users have the same problem or is this the only user who works with Project?

John

Friday, November 17, 2017 2:29 PM