Migration strategy: migrating clients first vs migrating DP first RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out how I should handle my migration from SCCM2007 to SCCM2012.  I have a Primary 2007R3 server, about 6 secondaries and heaps of protected DP's.

I just installed my SCCM2012 server and I migrated all objects that I still require to the new hierachy and everything is working.

Now I wanted to start preparing the DP's for the new hierchy, so I enabled DP sharing and I migrated a specific DP  to the new version - no errors encountered what's so ever.

However, when I look into my SCCM 2007 hierarchy, the DP does not exist anymore, the complete site system has dissapeared.  The subnets that were associated to this protected DP still exist, but have also lost their reference to this DP.  Hence all old SCCM2007 clients in this 'protected subnet' now all of a sudden fall back to the primary server.

Is this expected behaviour?  I always assumed that a shared DP could serve both SCCM2007 clients and SCCM2012 clients at the same time.  How can I prepare all my DP's before I touch my clients?

Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

• found it myself...

"You can use the Configuration Manager console to reassign distribution points that you have shared from an active source hierarchy. When you reassign a shared distribution point, the distribution point is uninstalled from its source site, and then installed as a distribution point that is attached to a primary or secondary site that you specify in the destination hierarchy."

So I guess I better migrate the clients first before migrating the DP's. 

• Marked as answer by DoctorWatson10 Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:47 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:46 PM

All replies

• found it myself...

"You can use the Configuration Manager console to reassign distribution points that you have shared from an active source hierarchy. When you reassign a shared distribution point, the distribution point is uninstalled from its source site, and then installed as a distribution point that is attached to a primary or secondary site that you specify in the destination hierarchy."

So I guess I better migrate the clients first before migrating the DP's. 

• Marked as answer by DoctorWatson10 Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:47 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Not necessarily. That's the point of a shared DP; you just jumped ahead and migrated it also instead of leaving it shared.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:14 PM