HowTo? diskmgmt.msc parameters or registry entries to open a specific size? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to start diskmgmt.msc so it displays at a certain size?

Are there parameters to the command line, or are there registry entries, or some other way to control this?

My development computer has a pair of high resolution monitors (1920x1200 and 1600x1280) and has multiple hard-drives and a DVD's (and I'll be putting a sata cdrom on shortly so there will be 2). Several of the hard-drives have multiple partitions, so the default size is hopelessly small. I invariably have to drag it to a larger size to work with it.

Here's a link to a screen shot with the default size:

http://www.berbible.org/misc/DiskMgmt.msc.Default.Size.jpg

As a work-around, is there a way to have it open maximized? I tried creating a desktop link for diskmgmt.msc and specified for it to open Maximized in the shortcut properties, but it seemed to be ignored. Drat :-(

(Yes ... I realize Disk 1 is a mess, and Disk 2 perhaps should use several primary partitions, but the question remains <g>)

Thanks

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• If there is a way to accomplish this, I sure haven't been able to find it?

I finally just got used to hitting ALT+SPACEBAR+X as soon a I open one of those consoles.

Let us know if you do find a way to do this.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply ... sometimes I just "bite the bullet" and maximize the console. That's a nuisance with a single monitor, but not quite so "hold your nose" with dual monitors.

And I hadn't been aware of the ALT+SPACEBAR+X shortcut ... shaves a bit of time except I'm already using the mouse to invoke diskmgmt.msc.

Sure seems like there ought to be a registry entry or **something** to control this. Even coming up maximized would be better than "too dinky to be useful".

I suppose you could "tweak" the window width to a certain size ... like 1234 or 1188 with a 1280x1024 resolution monitor, and check the width in a Paint program ... then try Search'ing for that particular number in the registry. Kind of a "needle in a haystack" approach, but it might "work".

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:48 AM
  • Maybe this will help:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/43953/q-how-can-i-configure-microsoft-management-console-mmc-to-start-in-a-maximized-window.html

The original 'solution' is rather a hassle, in my opinion the comment makes more sense. You can use Notepad to edit the .msc files. Installing a ServicePack will most likely undo any changes, though.

Back up the original file(s) before you start!

Cheers,

Roelof Kotvis

Sunday, June 22, 2008 5:17 PM
  • I adjusted the 8th and 18th lines of compmgmt.msc and diskmgmt.msc as follows to have a much larger window:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <MMC_ConsoleFile ConsoleVersion="2.0" ProgramMode="User">
      <ConsoleFileID>{823B07C8-4491-439A-84C4-47C40959580D}</ConsoleFileID>
      <FrameState ShowStatusBar="true" LogicalReadOnly="true">
        <WindowPlacement ShowCommand="SW_SHOWNORMAL">
          <Point Name="MinPosition" X="-1" Y="-1"/>
          <Point Name="MaxPosition" X="-1" Y="-1"/>
          <Rectangle Name="NormalPosition" Top="0" Bottom="1000" Left="100" Right="1200"/>
        </WindowPlacement>
      </FrameState>
      <Views>
        <View ID="6" ScopePaneWidth="200">
          <BookMark Name="RootNode" NodeID="30"/>
          <BookMark Name="SelectedNode" NodeID="30"/>
          <WindowPlacement WPF_RESTORETOMAXIMIZED="true" ShowCommand="SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED">
            <Point Name="MinPosition" X="-1" Y="-1"/>
            <Point Name="MaxPosition" X="-4" Y="-23"/>
          <Rectangle Name="NormalPosition" Top="0" Bottom="1000" Left="100" Right="1200"/>
          </WindowPlacement>
          <ViewOptions ViewMode="Report" ScopePaneVisible="true" DescriptionBarVisible="false" DefaultColumn0Width="200" DefaultColumn1Width="0"/>
        </View>
      </Views>

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Asmodaus

Excellent, thanks for the pointer to that website.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Now I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish the equivalent with Win-7100-RC. Access to .msc files are restricted.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/3c584bb1-8e59-47ec-9887-d9af47a32efa

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:59 PM