none
Internal and External DNS pointing RRS feed

• Question

• Good day all, I have a query about DNS'.

Our school works with tablets and ebooks, and all ebooks are uploaded on the internal server of the school which is then downloaded to the tablets. The DNS address (ebooks.example.com) is pointed to the internal IP address (172.16.0.2).

I am the IT admin of the school, and I oversee the ebook downloads and connection to the server.

There's a server backend we use to create users, assign books, etc on the computer, but we can only access the server (using a web browser) through the internal IP address and not the DNS address (ebooks.example.com)

In the ebooks app, there is an Address field (to connect to the server) , but the app can't connect to the server using the DNS address (ebooks.example.com) on-site and can only connect via the internal IP address. Off-site (via internet) I could access the server through the app and connect and download books...

I have created a forward lookup zone to the example.com domain and added the ebooks as an A Record. After doing this, I could access the server with the DNS address (ebooks.example.com) but on the app it doesn't connect to the server. It still connects with the internal IP address only (when on-site)...

Can someone please help me fix this, so I can change the internal IP address to the domain address on the app, without having any connection problems to the server on and off-site?

Many thanks!

Sunday, January 24, 2016 3:38 PM

Answers

• Please use NSLookup to make sure that your DNS record resolves to a single IP address which is the correct one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29184.nslookup-for-beginners.aspx

If this works properly then you may need to contact the vendor of the solution used to host the ebooks and the client for download - There might be specific requirements to make access through DNS name possible.

If you are running IIS for the web server, I would recommend to check your bindings. More if you ask them here: http://forums.iis.net/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Edited by Mr XMVP Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Monday, January 25, 2016 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Sunday, February 7, 2016 1:05 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:21 PM

All replies

• Please use NSLookup to make sure that your DNS record resolves to a single IP address which is the correct one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29184.nslookup-for-beginners.aspx

If this works properly then you may need to contact the vendor of the solution used to host the ebooks and the client for download - There might be specific requirements to make access through DNS name possible.

If you are running IIS for the web server, I would recommend to check your bindings. More if you ask them here: http://forums.iis.net/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Edited by Mr XMVP Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Leo HanModerator Monday, January 25, 2016 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Sunday, February 7, 2016 1:05 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:21 PM
  • Hi Mafia,

>>I have created a forward lookup zone to the example.com domain and added theebooks as an A Record. After doing this, I could access the server with the DNS address (ebooks.example.com) but on the app it doesn't connect to the server.

I suppose DNS is working well. The tablet could get the IP address from DNS server. 

The problem is related to the app. As Ahmed mentioned, ask the vendor to see if any additional settings are required.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

The problem can't be related to the app, as another school in town, uses the same system, and their tablets work perfectly with the dns address they were given. The IT company that installed the server for the tablet system, must have made a mistake with the DNS and firewall settings...

Another problem I saw yesterday, was that we can only access the DNS address from outside the school on a different network using HTTPS:// in front of the DNS address. I've tried to locate the Firewall and the IIS server, but not one of them are active...

I will test the nslookup as soon as I am back on-site. Externally the nslookup of the DNS address (ebooks.example.com) points to the right IP address.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi Mafia,

Have you checked the result of nslookup?

>>The problem can't be related to the app, as another school in town, uses the same system, and their tablets work perfectly with the dns address they were given.

As Ahmed mentioned, there may be special settings in the app.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 7, 2016 1:12 PM