Preparing desktop error RRS feed

• Question

• Ours is a shared computer and I am the administrator. When the other user logs on the system goes into the "Preparing the desktop" mode forever and then opens to the desktop and gives him the message that he is in temporary file mode.  The other problem is that the desktop has his background but displays 12 icons from my desktop and none of his.  It also opens a Citrix Receiver window and asks him to set up an account.  I use Citrix on my side for a remote access account.

I do not have any problems on my side so I am thinking that my profile is not corrupted?

All the virus and malware scans are clear.

How do I fix this?  Or is this a job for the Geek Squad?

I would love to upgrade to Windows 10 but I cannot because of the remote access account.  HELP!

Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would suggest that you try the methods that are mentioned below to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Method 1:

Place your computer in Safe Mode and check if the same issue persist when you restart the computer when placed in Safe Mode.

1.Open Run Command (Windows button +R)

2.A dialog box will open type “msconfig”

3.Locate and select the Boot tab and select Safe with Minimal as option.

4.Restart Computer

Note: Follow the same procedure to undo Safe Mode, uncheck the Safe option and restart your system.

Method 2:

If the issue still persist in Safe Mode, I would suggest that you run Startup Repair and check if the issue reoccurs.

1.Go to the “Lock Screen” and press and hold the shift key and click on the power icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen.

2.You will have to restart your computer, you will be prompted to click on “Restart Anyway”.

3.Then you select “Troubleshoot” and click on “Advance Option” and locate and select “Startup Repair”.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:53 AM
    Monday, July 24, 2017 2:31 AM