Disable deadline randomization and Maintenance Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I need help clarifying the new "Disable deadline randomization" in SP1. How does this come into play with Maintenance Windows on the Collections and patches? If I have a maintenance Windows at 1am on the collection would it actually start to install the patches at 1am or would it still include the 2 hr randomization factor?

Or if it does not work that way and I want to tightly control the install time would I have to forgo the maintenance window and use the "Installation deadline" setting to start the install right at the deadline time.

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:35 AM

Answers

•  

If a client have a maintence window at 1am - 2am and the deadline have happend before or at 1am the client will install the patches, it will not include the 2 hr randomization if you disable that in the client settings.

You could also use a deadline at 1am and don't use any maintence windows, but you should be aware of if a client is off at 1am it will start to install the patches asap when the client has started again.

• Marked as answer by Mankney2 Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:32 AM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:26 AM

All replies

•  

If a client have a maintence window at 1am - 2am and the deadline have happend before or at 1am the client will install the patches, it will not include the 2 hr randomization if you disable that in the client settings.

You could also use a deadline at 1am and don't use any maintence windows, but you should be aware of if a client is off at 1am it will start to install the patches asap when the client has started again.

• Marked as answer by Mankney2 Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:32 AM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:26 AM
  • That is good news.

What log file do I check to verify the client does install at 1 am?

Thanks so much for your help.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:32 AM
  • UpdatesDeployment.log

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:41 AM