Problem with media card reader on new Dell xps 730x with vista 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new pc where the media card reader does not work. It has been replaced twice and still the same. It is not even recodnised by windows. It seems to light up when you put in a memory card through the bios set up screen pointing to perhaps a fault with windows. I do not want to do a full install and lose everything. Any suggestions? Dell want to reinstall windows or fit new motherboard but I'm sure it's something simple. PC is a few weeks old and card reader has never worked
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 7:51 PM

Answers

• HI,

They were going to replace motherboard but then decided to reinstall vista as the light on the media card reader comes on when inserting a card when in bios mode. The bluetooth light is on all the time. I refused a fresh vista install as I don't think this will fix the problem and to be honest don't really want a new motherboard. I have asked for a refund and now they are ignoring me. Many thanks for your help.

I have now reinstalled vista and problem is fixed. (15/07/09)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.    Disconnect Media Card Reader and reconnect it. Generally, Windows will automatically detect the hardware changes.

1)     Turn off Windows.

2)     Disconnect Media Card Reader.

3)     Turn on Windows.

4)     Turn off Windows.

5)     Connect Media Card Reader.

6)     Turn on Windows.

2.    Disable and re-enable the USB controller.

1)     Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.

2)     Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.

3)     Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

4)     Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

5)     Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

6)     Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

7)     Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

3.    Install the latest Media Card Reader Files, you can download these files in the following Dell Site.

Drivers CA-200 13-1

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19087899.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&s=bsd

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

4.    Update motherboard driver and BIOS, for the latest version of motherboard and BIOS, please visit Dell download site.

Dell XPS 730x System BIOS, 1.0.2

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cat=sup&cs=04&k=Dell+XPS+730X&rpp=12&p=1&subcat=dyd%2f1000&rf=all&nk=f&sort=K&nf=19019%7e7%7e140262&navla=19019%7e7%7e140262&ira=False&~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Regarding this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.    Disconnect Media Card Reader and reconnect it. Generally, Windows will automatically detect the hardware changes.

1)     Turn off Windows.

2)     Disconnect Media Card Reader.

3)     Turn on Windows.

4)     Turn off Windows.

5)     Connect Media Card Reader.

6)     Turn on Windows.

2.    Disable and re-enable the USB controller.

1)     Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.

2)     Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.

3)     Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

4)     Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

5)     Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

6)     Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

7)     Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

3.    Install the latest Media Card Reader Files, you can download these files in the following Dell Site.

Drivers CA-200 13-1

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19087899.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&s=bsd

4.    Update motherboard driver and BIOS, for the latest version of motherboard and BIOS, please visit Dell download site.

Dell XPS 730x System BIOS, 1.0.2

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cat=sup&cs=04&k=Dell+XPS+730X&rpp=12&p=1&subcat=dyd%2f1000&rf=all&nk=f&sort=K&nf=19019%7e7%7e140262&navla=19019%7e7%7e140262&ira=False&~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav

Hope this helps. Thanks.

HI, Many thanks but still the same. I had already downloaded bios 1.0.2 and tried updated driver for media card. Problem is windows does not recognise it. There is no sign that card reader is there. Looking through Dell forum on http://en.community.dell.com/groups/xps_club/forum/p/19260687/19437731.aspx#19437731 it would seem this is a common fault. Am going to try the suggestion of earthing unit.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately, neither of above works. I am wondering whether you enable USB 2.0 in BIOS. Moreover, are there other devices connected to this computer? Please disconnect other devices and connect Media Card Reader lonely to see if it works.

Meanwhile, I recommend that you install the latest Windows Vista Service Pack, Windows Vista Service Pack enhances the performance and compatibilities in Windows Vista.

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:36 AM
  • HI,

PC is almost new and has latest service pack as auto updates are on.
    Everything else USB works fine but the media card reader is hard wired to the mother board.
    Have tried removing other non essental usb devices appart from keyboard but still the same.

Seems to be a known problem, have also found another thread http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/18921510/19427619.aspx#19427619

Am using external reader just now and trying for a refund.

Thanks, Gary
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Are the media card reader detected in BIOS? I am wondering if the connected interface is defect. If it is the case, I may need to suggest that you return this computer to Dell for changing motherboard and see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:44 AM
  • HI,

They were going to replace motherboard but then decided to reinstall vista as the light on the media card reader comes on when inserting a card when in bios mode. The bluetooth light is on all the time. I refused a fresh vista install as I don't think this will fix the problem and to be honest don't really want a new motherboard. I have asked for a refund and now they are ignoring me. Many thanks for your help.

I have now reinstalled vista and problem is fixed. (15/07/09)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:25 AM