IC 3.2 on CentOS 6.1, synthetic network adapters cannot be detected RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I tried IC 3.2 on a clean CentOS 6.1 today. Everything is great (simple installer, mouse driver, etc.), but after the installation and reboot, synthetic network adapters cannot be detected. There is only a loopback (lo) adapter after running ifconfig.

This occurs on IC 3.1/CentOS 6.0 too.

Can anyone give some hints to activate the synthetic network adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:03 AM

Answers

• Did you disable NetworkManager? That is the easiest way to get it working.

As far as the DVD - the solution for that is included in the read me. In order to get the fastpath IDE channel working, we need to blacklist the loading of the ata_piix module. You can manually load ata_piix as root to gain access to the DVD drive in the VM, or copy the ISO file into the VM and mount it using -o loop.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:55 PM

All replies

• I have the same question.

Not only the network cannot be detected, but also the cdrom /dvd  has not be detected  .

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Did you disable NetworkManager? That is the easiest way to get it working.

As far as the DVD - the solution for that is included in the read me. In order to get the fastpath IDE channel working, we need to blacklist the loading of the ata_piix module. You can manually load ata_piix as root to gain access to the DVD drive in the VM, or copy the ISO file into the VM and mount it using -o loop.

Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:55 PM
  • // Did you disable NetworkManager? That is the easiest way to get it working.

I tried two ways to disable NetworkManager. The 1st one is to follow this instruction to disable NM in config file of eth0: http://www.convirture.com/ee_wiki/index.php?title=RedHat_6_Networking, but it does not work.

The 2nd way is to stop and disable the NM service, but it looks there is no NM service on my VM (as a CentOS 6.2 minimal installl):

#service NetworkManager stop
    NetworkManager: unrecognized service

#chkconfig NetworkManager off
    error reading information on service NetworkManager: No such file or directory

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Same as Vista Xia, networkmanager isn't installed, so the problem persists. 

Using Centos 6.2 minimal install and LIC 3.2.

Any ideas?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Add a file /etc/sysconfig/network with the following:

NETWORKING=yes

Then, add a file called /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with the following (assuming you're using DHCP):

DEVICE=eth0

ONBOOT=yes

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

• Proposed as answer by Chris-Smith Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:53 PM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:39 PM
  • About the optical drive: Most often current linux kernels will recognize the first optical drive as /dev/sr0

I can confirm that sometimes you need to create the ifcfg-eth0

Also have a look at the following file: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

If you did boot with both a legacy and a paravirt NIC, you might see that your additional NIC was recognized by udev as eth1

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:22 PM
  •   I found the same problem with RHEL6 & CentOS6.  Once I assigned a static MAC address to the NIC, eth0 showed up.

• Edited by CWarner1974 Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:37 PM
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:32 PM