Unable to "manage" computer RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to open the 'manage' section of my computer. I seem to remember a while ago changing the settings for user elevation so I don't know if this has affected it. I am unable to open this program in either the main user account or in the administrator account.

Any ideas?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 8:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Sounds like you turned UAC off. UAC is the only way to elevate your account to do advanced system tasks, like manage your computer.

You need to turn UAC back on . Go to Control Panel, click User Accounts, and then click "Change User Account Control settings". Make sure the slider is at the top or 1 notch below the top (this notch should be in bold) and click OK.

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:19 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 4:57 PM
  • I lost the ability to manage the computer via right clicking on Computer and choosing "manage" as well on an RTM install of 7 x64.  This was after I'd installed Directory Opus (a great explorer replacement, since Windows Explorer has declilned in quality since XP) which has compatibility issues with 7 currently.  I don't know that this was the origination, but I had UAC off completely before I installed DOpus and RClick > Manage worked.

Uninstalling it didn't return the ability.  Reinstalling windows did, haha.  I have since tested Manage after every installation just out of anal retentiveness, and it still works.  My UAC is all the way off.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Yes, it CAN work with UAC off.

I have UAC disabled with a domain policy.  Yet I am still able to manage all my machines, including Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.

See if you can open it with mmc.  Click Start\Run or press Win+R and type mmc.  Click File\Open, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\compmgmt.msc.

You could also see if you can open some of the subsets in Control Panel\Administrative Tools, such as Event Viewer or Services.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 8:59 PM