My issues with SCE 2007, please help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I did a clean install SCE 2007 with SP1 and deployed the agent to all our clients. After a while a about 25% of the clients were reporting very slow performance especially with Office 2003. After doing some searching on these forums I did an Override of the "Performance Data Source Module" and removed the "Information Worker Office 2007/2003" management packs. I also disabled "Script Scan" and put in an exclusion for the path "C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007" in McAfee VirusScan 8.5.

The above combination seems to have sorted the problem (most likely disabling Script Scan). However, I would at some point like tie enable the Performance data module and the Information worker for Office MP. When are you likely to sort these bugs out? I thought SP1 was supposed to solve all the issues but it seems to have introduced new ones.

Besides this, I still get the following script errors on client machines which is an annoyance. As they keep reappearing its easy to ignore them and therefore genuine alerts gets ignored as well.

Forced to terminate the following process started at 10:15:23 AM because it ran past the configured timeout 30 seconds. Command executed:

"C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe" //NoLogo "C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files

2\26\LogEndToEndEvent.js" Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files

2\26\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.AgentManagement.LogEndToEndEvent Instance name:

Forced to terminate the following process started at 15:38:06 because it ran past the configured timeout 120 seconds. Command executed:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "DiscoverAgentRelationshipSettings.js" 0 {F1C0619C-EC6D-ECA1-695E-F34348B39C4F}

Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 5\1266\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name:

Microsoft.SystemCenter.DiscoverADManagedComputer Instance name:

Forced to terminate the following process started at 15:38:06 because it ran past the configured timeout 120 seconds. Command executed:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "DiscoverHealthServiceCommunicationRelationships.js" 0 {3237253B-2A1C-38E7-8E52-588635224D35}

: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations

Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 5\1254\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name:

Microsoft.SystemCenter.DiscoveryHealthServiceCommunication Instance name:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "IsHostingMSCS.vbs" {1C0CCF64-D32D-B64C-A66A-792E7F0934D6} {67829D46-2D78-E37B-6D43-CA8AD92B5F1B}

Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host

Temporary Files 5\95\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: System.Mom.BackwardCompatibility.Computer.IsHostingMSCS.Discovery

Instance name:

Forced to terminate the following process started at 15:38:13 because it ran past the configured timeout 120 seconds. Command executed:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "DiscoverHealthServiceProperties.vbs" 0 {7411606E-CFAA-7624-CFB8-782AADEC672D}

{E483D9DF-46B2-524A-D46A-1E75623BB120}Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager

2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 5\1250\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name:

Microsoft.SystemCenter.DiscoverHealthServiceProperties Instance name:

Forced to terminate the following process started at 13:38:11 because it ran past the configured timeout 60 seconds. Command executed:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "RedirectWSUS.vbs" 0 {26D3CA4A-0EBA-57EB-2A74-589DAAFA8334} {67829D46-2D78-E37B-6D43-CA8AD92B5F1B}

Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary

Files 5\137\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.WSUSRedirectDiscovery Instance name: 

Forced to terminate the following process started at 13:38:11 because it ran past the configured timeout 30 seconds. Command executed:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "CheckWUAgentConfig.vbs"  Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager

2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 5\1225\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name:

Microsoft.SystemCenter.Essentials.CheckWUAgentConfigMonitor Instance name:

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Users were reporting very slow performance especially when using Outlook and other office applications.

We had a lot of these errors "In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, WINWORD* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded". I read in the forum that a workaround was to remove the Information Worker Office XP/2003/2007 Management Pack. So I followed the work around in this thread. http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3013639&SiteID=17

There were a lot of client errors "Performance Monitor Could not find a performance counter" . So I followed the instructions in the thread below to disable this rule. http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3001200&SiteID=17

I also disabled McAfee Script Scan which I think also heleped a lot. Now all clients are not reporting errors( aprt from the odd one or two) and performance of these computers are back to normal.

However, I cannot view performance (CPU % etc) data for these clients on SCE reporting. I suppose this is because I've disabled the Performace Data Source Module ? If so, when will this be fixed so that I can re-enable it?

When will the Information Worker MP be fixed so that I can add it back?

At the moment, the clients are not complaining so I don't want to go back and re-enable these items. 

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that most scripts failed with time out. Could you tell us the hardware information of the SCE server? Please check if it happens with high CPU or memory utilization.

Besides, try to override the related rule to use a longer timeout, for example, 240 seconds, to see if this issue still happens.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:08 AM
  • Its a Dell Power Edge Xeon Quad Core 2.40 Ghz 2GB RAM

I havn't had any warnings for a while, I wonder if those clients were particularly busy. How do you change the tinme out value? I also dont get performance data anymore. Is this because the "Performance Data Source Module" rule was disabled? When will the problem with the Perfomance Data Source Module be resolved? I also removed the Information Worker Office MPs as it casued performace issues. Will this be fixed as well?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

I am not quiet sure about what you mentioned that "reporting very slow performance especially with office 2003". Is that means that the clients with office 2003 will have slow performance? Or when you checking SCE console\Monitoring for performance, the reasult will show up slowly?

To avoid misunderstanding, could you describe the exact symptom more cleanly?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

Users were reporting very slow performance especially when using Outlook and other office applications.

We had a lot of these errors "In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, WINWORD* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded". I read in the forum that a workaround was to remove the Information Worker Office XP/2003/2007 Management Pack. So I followed the work around in this thread. http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3013639&SiteID=17

There were a lot of client errors "Performance Monitor Could not find a performance counter" . So I followed the instructions in the thread below to disable this rule. http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3001200&SiteID=17

I also disabled McAfee Script Scan which I think also heleped a lot. Now all clients are not reporting errors( aprt from the odd one or two) and performance of these computers are back to normal.

However, I cannot view performance (CPU % etc) data for these clients on SCE reporting. I suppose this is because I've disabled the Performace Data Source Module ? If so, when will this be fixed so that I can re-enable it?

When will the Information Worker MP be fixed so that I can add it back?

At the moment, the clients are not complaining so I don't want to go back and re-enable these items. 

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

I am happy to know your issue is resolved. And according to your description, I think the performance issue may due to anti-virus software confliction with SCE agent rather than other cause. Considering the performance is improved after disable the antivirus script scan, you may like set back the Performance Data Source Module as a test now.

For office information worker MP, please montior the following link:

System Center Pack Catalog

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/scp/catalog.aspx

If there is a newer MP version, it will be published  at there.

Hope it helps.

Friday, May 2, 2008 9:40 AM
  • Hi Guo,

I have similar issues in SCE, which i am sure you can help me to resolve. Some of the Alerts are CPU utilization related, some of are Memory related. Most of my workstations are ok, i believe and i don't understand why these problems are causing. is there any way i can resolve this? IF not, i am happy to disable these rules. Please let me how to disable --these step-by-step (if you can pls). Here are some Alerts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart no 1----------- 

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, EXPLORER* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer.CPUUtilization.Performance.Monitor Instance name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer Instance ID: {849DAC82-A84D-36EE-4EA9-FF2BBAC53BB1} Management group: SERVER-SCE_MG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart no 2

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, MSACCESS* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access.MemoryUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access

Instance ID: {088D68A0-0EB7-C044-0185-8417052A04FD}

Management group: SERVER-SCE_MG
    -------------------------------------------------

Alart 3

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, EXPLORER* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer.MemoryUtilization.Performance.Monitor

Instance name: Microsoft.Windows.XP.Explorer

Instance ID: {2B73DE12-2200-9189-C478-5AA753523120}

--------------------------------------------------------------

Alart 4

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, POWERPNT* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.PowerPoint.CPUUtilization.Performance.Monitor

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.PowerPoint

Instance ID: {83E220FB-177D-4B7B-ADC3-F3A8E0FE3F8B}

---------------------------------------------------

Alart 5

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, MSPUB* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Publisher.MemoryUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Publisher

Instance ID: {ECF18DE6-FE70-32B7-E57A-45C5B2FF2323}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart 6

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, Working Set, INFOPATH* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.InfoPath.MemoryUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.InfoPath

Instance ID: {05D921D2-BCDC-934A-40B6-A064B4E3FA85}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alart 7

In PerfDataSource, could not find counter Process, % Processor Time, MSACCESS* in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access.CPUUtilization.PerformanceCollection.Rule

Instance name: Microsoft.Office.2003.Access

Instance ID: {3132E14A-0B1B-6AE7-A161-4C3F292FAA43}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When i tried to disable Microsoft Office 2003 InfoPath, i couldn't find that management pack, instad i did find one management pack which is

ID: Microsoft.InformationWorker.Office.2003

Name:Information Worker Office 2003"

Version: 6.0.50000.0

Description: Microsoft Information Worker Office 2003 Management Pack: This management pack discovers and monitors all Office 2003 applications.

Do I have to disable or overrid this management pack to stop all office related Alarts ?

Or

I have to go to Authoring > Management Pack Objects > Rules 

and than Look for "Management Pack Objects"

Find for the rule under Type:Health Service(2), right click and select "Overrides" , "Disable the Rule", From all Objects of type: Health Service". If i do this, does it disable performance monitoring for all office applications?  

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys,

I wait logn time to hear anything from someone.

I have already post a new treads with my question.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:36 AM
  • Hello,

I have 2 questions with regards to the above problem, which is in fact an effect of a even greater problem I have described below:

1. SCE 2007 uses 'cscripts.exe' to collect data and send back to Management server. For each rule defined in 'Authoring' we have a cscript running on the Server to collect that data. Each rule has its own collection interval, but if we went with defaults (inbuilt MP related to OS and Database only for eg) most of these collection intervals would be the same. Since these collection intervals are same, it means that around 10-12 cscripts for OS and 8-10 csripts (these are numbers for Default rules automatically enabled with the OS and SQL DB MP, without considering any other custom rules) for Database information collection would get fired roughly around the same second. In Servers having optimal resources, this scenario is fine. Since each cscript would take a few milliseconds to collect data, and even if you were watching the process console, you wouldnt be able to see them all together.

However say in a specific case of a high user query load on a SQL Server which takes up around 95-98 % CPU (which is fine, because that is the primary purpose of that SQL Server), when 12+10 = 22 cscripts fire simultaneously, inadvertently they get 'stuck'. This is because not enough CPU resource is not available for their execution to complete. They all sit, waiting for CPU resource to be available, each cscript we see occupies from 50 to 90 MB of memory. Say an average of 75 MB of memory for 22 cscripts, that becomes 75 x 22 = 1.6 GB of RAM just for a Monitoring collection agent.

More often than not the Server runs so low on memory that the Server stops responding, the Database on server refuses to accept new connections, and even queries running on the SQL Server could timeout.

All this caused by a simple monitoring agent running on the Server. In some cases, I have seen around 10-12 cscript processes continously running even if enough CPU resources was available.

My first question is: Why are each of these cscripts consuming around 60 MB each. Is there any way we can bring the memory consumption of cscripts down.

2. My second question is: The Moderator had mentioned in a previous post that the 'Timeout interval' for the "Forced to terminate the following process started at because it ran past the configured timeout" error could be increased. This was suggested obvisouly so the script could get more time than the configured 120 seconds (more than 2 minutes for collecting data?? That shouldnt be allowed!) to collect data.

We are looking to actually reduce this timeout to a lower value like say 30 seconds so that all the cscripts would be automatically killed after 30 seconds, instead of them just 'sitting' there waitiing. How and where do I go in the Authoring-> Rules console to change this timeout value?

Monday, September 22, 2008 5:11 PM
  • That is really the main question:

"My first question is: Why are each of these cscripts consuming around 60 MB each. Is there any way we can bring the memory consumption of cscripts down."

I also had an installation with the cscript problem. My actual installation does not have this problem. Cscript now consumes only 8 MB. I do not know the reason for this kind of 'healing'

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:50 AM