none
Moving volumes to new disks through mirroring / breaking mirror RRS feed

• Question

• I was running out of disk space on my original DPM Backup Disk. I attempted to transition to a new disk following this procedure.

1. I installed a second disk on the DPM server and initialized the disk.

2. Using Windows Disk Management I created a mirror on the new disk for each DPM volume on the old disk.

3. I waited for the mirror to Resync

4. Once the mirror was finished syncing, I removed the mirror on the old disk.

DPM continued to backup. However when I went into DPM Management / Disks. When I clicked on the old disk the details pane still listed the volumes under "Protected data sources on this disk:" even though the volumes no longer existed on the disk.

As a result I was unable to remove the old volume from DPM. At one point I finally forcefully removed the disk, however, DPM went and deleted the volumes on the new disk!!

I told DPM to rescan the disks, however, it never figured out that the volumes no longer existed on the old disk.

How can I get DPM to rescan the disks to discover the volumes are no longer on the old disk?

Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You should have used the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 to migrate the DPM data to the new disk.

Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282970.aspx

Since the volume were removed by DPM, you basically need to have DPM remake the missing volumes.

From an administrative command prompt run:  DPMSYNC -Reallocatereplica

That will make the new volumes on the new disk, once created, you should be able to remove the old missing disk from the DPM storage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:25 AM