Win 7 - has it restored to 32 rather than 64 bit OS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Dell XPS 8300 64 bit machine
    Had a problem with the machine which i thought i had resolved by a doing a Win7 Restore.
    I cannot be sure but when i looked at the processes in the Task Manager (91 running) a good number had a *32 at the end of them. in some cases the same process eg sychost was in the list as normal several times but some had *32 and some didn't.
    Does this mean that for some reason my PC has resored to a 32 bit OS? or, was it like it before and i didn't notice and its quite normal? How can i return it to 64 bit without having to go through a factory setting restore and thus lose all my settings? The restore became necessary because i accidentally installed an application that i think was for a 32 bit machine.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

Had a problem with the machine which i thought i had resolved by a doing a Win7 Restore.
    I cannot be sure but when i looked at the processes in the Task Manager (91 running) a good number had a *32 at the end of them. in some cases the same process eg sychost was in the list as normal several times but some had *32 and some didn't.
    Does this mean that for some reason my PC has resored to a 32 bit OS? or, was it like it before and i didn't notice and its quite normal? How can i return it to 64 bit without having to go through a factory setting restore and thus lose all my settings? The restore became necessary because i accidentally installed an application that i think was for a 32 bit machine.

64 Bit OS identify 32 bit programs in Task Manager by adding the *32. If you had a 32 Bit OS installed, then those numbers would not exist at all.

Therefore Windows 7 Restored the 64Bit OS and it is running as expected.

lforbes

• Proposed as answer by DarienHawk67 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, March 2, 2012 7:57 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:55 PM

All replies

• If you right click the Computer icon on your desktop or in your Start menu and click properties it will display the system type. It will either say 32 or 64 bit. Can you verify there what version you have installed?

The fact that some processes are 32-bit applications is quite normal for 64-bit versions of Windows.

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:44 AM

64 Bit OS identify 32 bit programs in Task Manager by adding the *32. If you had a 32 Bit OS installed, then those numbers would not exist at all.

Therefore Windows 7 Restored the 64Bit OS and it is running as expected.

lforbes

• Proposed as answer by DarienHawk67 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, March 2, 2012 7:57 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:55 PM
  • I have the opposite situation,  I have a Dell inspiron 1545 that I accidentally installed (rather than upgraded) with Windows 10.  The OS was windows 7.  Windows 10 installed as 64 bit.  Since this machine is qualified for a free license, I need to find a way to roll it back to Windows 7 or get the activation key for the Win 7 (Old.Windows) folder.  I hope this is close enough to the original post to be here, but the problem seemed similar.

John B. 

Thursday, June 2, 2016 6:14 PM
  • It is not even close and besides, you have already made a thread about this.
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:37 PM
  • OKay. My apologies for disrupting this thread.  
    Friday, June 3, 2016 8:08 PM