Create a subdomaing on active directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys. I do not have too much experience on this area, we are using Windows server 2008 Standard, I have an active directory, our domain is xxxx.ed.cr, everything is working fine, mx records are properly defined, but now we would like to use google apps for education to provide students with email addresses, and to do that we need to use a subdomain students.xxxx.ed.cr, I dont know how to create a subdomain on active directory and how set different mx records for this subdomain.

We dont want to have the students account on active directory or local exchange server, but we do need at least to have the subdomain registered for Google to be able to redirect the emails and found the domain name students.xxxx.ed.cr

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Johan C

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:21 PM

Answers

• Sounds like that is just a DNS child domain - no AD involved. You just need to create a child domain and add the MX records that sends mail to the Google servers.

What are you using to manage the xxxx.ed.cr DNS zone? Most likely that is on a public DNS server and that is where you would create a new child DNS zone.

Mark B. Cooper, President and Founder of PKI Solutions Inc., former Microsoft Senior Engineer and subject matter expert for Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services (ADCS). Known as “The PKI Guy” at Microsoft for 10 years.

• Marked as answer by johancas08 Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:54 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:53 PM

All replies

• Greetings!

If you want to create a child domain refer to these links:

>> We dont want to have the students account on active directory or local exchange server, but we do need at least to have the subdomain registered for Google to be able to redirect the emails and found the domain name students.xxxx.ed.cr

Sorry I did not follow what you meant. Would you please clarify this a little bit?

Regards.

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by bshwjt Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:50 AM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:10 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I am sorry I think I was wrong, I do need to have the students user accounts added on that child domain right?

What I need is that google servers can reach students.xxxx.ed.cr and say ok the domain exists and the users dont have an account on exchange so the email will be deliver on gmail.

Regards.

Johan C

Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Sounds like that is just a DNS child domain - no AD involved. You just need to create a child domain and add the MX records that sends mail to the Google servers.

What are you using to manage the xxxx.ed.cr DNS zone? Most likely that is on a public DNS server and that is where you would create a new child DNS zone.

Mark B. Cooper, President and Founder of PKI Solutions Inc., former Microsoft Senior Engineer and subject matter expert for Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services (ADCS). Known as “The PKI Guy” at Microsoft for 10 years.

• Marked as answer by johancas08 Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:54 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Hi Mark.

I am using my own  windows server 2003 with dns server role, this is my public dns.

And I think you are right that is what I need, I have the mx records from google, can you help me with that?

Regards.

Johan C

Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Give this video a try on how to create the zone in DNS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6qGlLOX_Y

Creating MX records: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759534(v=WS.10).aspx

Thursday, June 12, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Thanks Mark.

I have created the zone and added the mx records, however if I use and mx lookup tool and enter the domain students.xxxx.ed.cr I received the error no mx records exists, do I need a host A, reverse zone or something else??

Thank yoy.

Johan C

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:38 PM
  • These things take time to replicate, so you should try again in a few hours.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for all your help Mark, I will check in a few hours and let you know.

Regards.

Johan C

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:55 PM