none
Office 365 and Exchange DNS MX records

Question

• Hi

For now I have few users in Office 365 but most of the users are still on premise. I left DNS records pointing to premise exchange but I have errors or would say warnings about the domain

I plan to move DNS records to point to office 365 later when I move most of the boxes but not now. Does this mean that this warning will stay or these records should be changed. But I want all mail go through exchange on premises

Dalibor Bosic

Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:44 AM

Answers

• Don't worry about Office 365 warning you that your DNS records aren't set right.  Those warnings don't know that you're still routing your mail to on-premises Exchange first.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Marked as answer by cer113 Monday, July 24, 2017 11:34 AM
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Ed.

We will get this warning if there's no properly MX record and point to <MX token>.mail.protection.outlook.com (<MX token> is a value like MSxxxxxxx). It's a normal warning and we can ignore it if there has a valid MX record for your domain.
    View DNS records.
    Therefore, it's fine to leave this warning and point your MX record to On-premise.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 2:37 AM

All replies

• Don't worry about Office 365 warning you that your DNS records aren't set right.  Those warnings don't know that you're still routing your mail to on-premises Exchange first.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Marked as answer by cer113 Monday, July 24, 2017 11:34 AM
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Ed.

We will get this warning if there's no properly MX record and point to <MX token>.mail.protection.outlook.com (<MX token> is a value like MSxxxxxxx). It's a normal warning and we can ignore it if there has a valid MX record for your domain.
    View DNS records.
    Therefore, it's fine to leave this warning and point your MX record to On-premise.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 2:37 AM