Can we restore the Administrator User Role? RRS feed

• Question

• We set up the Administrator User Role during initial setup for our DEV environment. While setting up the Cireson Service Manager add-on, one of our analysts removed the users from that role. Is there any way to add those users back other than to completely re-install SCSM? I have tried PowerShell but get an error stating I don't have permissions to add users to that role, which makes sense because my account isn't in that role now.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to review the following article.  Maybe it can give us some help. 

Copying User Roles Between Environments in Service Manager 2012

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wincat/2013/03/28/copying-user-roles-between-environments-in-service-manager-2012/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

the Authorization is directly stored in Database.

When you open the Service Manager Database with SQL Server Management Studio you can select the content of table AzMan_AzRoleAssignment . Administrators should have ID 2.

There's also a table AzMan_Role_SIDMember where you can insert the SID of the SDK Service and yours.

This PowerShell-Command will display the Windows SID:

$objUser = New-Object System.Security.Principal.NTAccount("NAMEOFDOMAIN", "ACCOUNTNAME")
    $strSID = $objUser.Translate([System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier])
    $strSID.Value

You can translate the Windows-SID to a Varbinary in SQL Server Management Studio:

SELECT SID_BINARY('S-1-5-21-3071881313-426946025-1910825630-1126') /*result of Powershell-Script */

Then you can insert this in AzMan_Role_SIDMember:

INSERT INTO AzMan_Role_SIDMember
                             (RoleID, MemberSID)
    VALUES        ('2',0x010500000000000515000000613019B7E9AD72199EE2E47166040000)

Good luck!

Regards,

Stefan

More and news about System Center at stillcool.de and sc-orchestartor.eu .

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 1:09 PM
  • Hi IanCS,

how are the things going?

Did you manage to restore the Admins? Or did you re-install?

Die my first reply here help you?

Regards,

Stefan

More and news about System Center at stillcool.de and sc-orchestartor.eu .

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:31 PM