none
Using DPM Management Shell RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team,

I have installed DPM 2012 R2 and backing up the Exchange databases successfully. Backing up the databases to the disk which is on Hitachi SAN. Now, I have observed that allocation disk space increased and I m running out of space. Total of 5 TB is consumed and remaining with 94 GB.

I would like to know if I could shrink the volume or delete the old recovery points of the backup.

Also, I have tried the Pruneshadowcopies.ps1 script which was in the DPM installation folder. But, it was just trying to connect the DPM machine and exiting. 

I would appreciate the help very much.

Thanks,

Sirish Oggu

Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Sirish,

Increased disk space allocation is nothing strange as your Exchange databases is probably is increasing as well.
    You could lower your retention time and wait until midnight as this is the time when the PruneShadowScopies-script runs everyday.

You could also calculate if you might be in need of increased storage capabilites. Below is the formulas how DPM-calculates the allocated disk space for Exchange DBs:
    Replica volume: Data source size x (1 + log change) / (alert threshold - .05) 
    Recovery point volume: 4.0 x retention range in days x log change x data source size + 1600 MB

The values used in the formulas are defined as follows:
    Alert%-Threshold for the alert associated with replica growth; typically 90%.
    Log change—This is the change rate on the database or storage group in question. This varies widely, but for the purposes of the default recommendation in DPM, it is assumed to be 6% for Exchange and SQL Server data and 10% for Windows SharePoint Services data. 
    Retention range (RR)—This is the number of recovery points stored; it is assumed to be 5 for purposes of the DPM default recommendation.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

• Marked as answer by Sirish Oggu Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:07 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Sirish,

Increased disk space allocation is nothing strange as your Exchange databases is probably is increasing as well.
    You could lower your retention time and wait until midnight as this is the time when the PruneShadowScopies-script runs everyday.

You could also calculate if you might be in need of increased storage capabilites. Below is the formulas how DPM-calculates the allocated disk space for Exchange DBs:
    Replica volume: Data source size x (1 + log change) / (alert threshold - .05) 
    Recovery point volume: 4.0 x retention range in days x log change x data source size + 1600 MB

The values used in the formulas are defined as follows:
    Alert%-Threshold for the alert associated with replica growth; typically 90%.
    Log change—This is the change rate on the database or storage group in question. This varies widely, but for the purposes of the default recommendation in DPM, it is assumed to be 6% for Exchange and SQL Server data and 10% for Windows SharePoint Services data. 
    Retention range (RR)—This is the number of recovery points stored; it is assumed to be 5 for purposes of the DPM default recommendation.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

• Marked as answer by Sirish Oggu Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:07 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:33 PM
  • You can use this script DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points - version 2 to remove recovery point volume.

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

Friday, August 26, 2016 9:49 AM