Get message "Attempt to access invalid address." trying to map network drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to map network drive using Windows 8.1 64-bit.  The drive is a USB disk plugged right into my router.  The drive location is //192.168.0.1.  If I do the following at a command prompt, it is successful and I can read/write to the USB drive using file explorer at //192.168.0.1:

net use \\192.168.0.1 /USER:admin (and typing in the password when prompted)

However, if I try to use the Map Network Drive tool (while selecting the "different credentials" option) something weird happens.  The Windows Security box pops up to enter my credentials but then immediately a second box opens up titled just "Windows".  The box says:

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: Attempt to access invalid address.

Also, if I use Remote Desktop Connection to try and connect with my computer at work I get a very similar situation.  A Windows Security box pops up to enter my credentials followed immediately with a box with the message "Remote Desktop Connection has stopped working".  I know it should work because I created a .rdp text file with my username and encrypted password in it and then I can connect!

I'm thinking something must be corrupt in my registry.  The only security software I run is the stuff that comes with Windows 8.1, pretty basic machine setup quite frankly.  A system restore is my very last option because I don't know when the problem started, so it would effectively mean re-installing the OS from scratch.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:47 PM