none
Impossible to open e-mail trought OWA only on 1 server of 4 in the DAG

Question

• Hi, I have an issue on my exchange infra but only on one node when the user open OWA and click on one mail nothing happen but with the light version of OWA i have a error message see below.

If a move the mailbox to another server it works fine.

If you could help me it will be great

Thanks in advance

Request
    Url: https://ServerName.test.local:444/owa/forms/basic/BasicReadMessage.aspx?ae=Item&t=IPM.Note&id=RgAAAABtsX1mK%2fl4T7cbHzR429apBwD6k5YvymVgTa0EFcGxreiBAAAAAAEMAAD6k5YvymVgTa0EFcGxreiBAAABVrJOAAAJ
    User host address: @IP
    User: XXX
    EX Address: /o=TEST/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=3b139caa39f24b1e9220931d9623474d-XXX
    SMTP Address: XXX@test.local
    OWA version: 15.0.1395.3
    Mailbox server: ServerName.test.local

Exception
    Exception type: System.UriFormatException
    Exception message: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

Call stack

System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Security.RightsManagement.DrmClientUtils.GetServiceLocation(SafeRightsManagementSessionHandle sessionHandle, ServiceType serviceType, ServiceLocation serviceLocation, String issuanceLicense)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.RightsManagement.RmsClientManager.GetOnPremiseRmsServerUri()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.RightsManagement.RmsClientManager.GetRmsServerActiveCryptoMode()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.RightsManagement.RmsClientManager.GetMachineCertIndexFromMsDrmBitsAndRmsServerCryptoMode()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.RightsManagement.RmsClientManager.DrmEnvironment.InitializeEnvironment()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.RightsManagement.RmsClientManager.Initialize()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.RightsManagement.RmsClientManager.InitializeIfNeeded()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.UserContext.get_IsIrmEnabled()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaSafeHtmlOutboundCallbacks.GetAttachmentCollection(Item item, UserContext userContext)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaSafeHtmlOutboundCallbacks..ctor(Item item, Boolean userLogon, Boolean isEmbedded, String itemUrl, Boolean isJunkOrPhishing, OwaContext owaContext, Boolean isEditableContent)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Basic.BodyConversionUtilities.GenerateNonEditableMessageBodyAndRenderInfobarMessages(Item item, TextWriter writer, OwaContext owaContext, Infobar infobar, Boolean allowWebBeacon, Boolean forceEnableItemLink, String itemType, String action, String state, Boolean isEmbedded, String attachmentUrl)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Basic.OwaForm.LoadMessageBodyIntoStream(TextWriter writer)
    ASP.forms_basic_basicreadmessage_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
    System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

• Edited by amichel77 Thursday, April 4, 2019 4:54 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2019 4:25 PM

All replies

• A DAG has nothing to do with opening OWA.  A DAG is a collection of mailbox role servers.  The CAS role is required to open OWA.

"If a move the mailbox to another server it works fine."

Do you mean move the mailbox or activate the database on the different server?  If you mean moving the mailbox, that would suggest that the database isn't replicated to other servers, i.e., it's a single-copy database.  Is that what you mean?

Are all servers in the same Active Directory site?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, April 4, 2019 11:08 PM
  • Hello and thanks for your help.

When i said move the mailbox it means moving the user to another database. but all database are replicated to the others servers.

And yes all the servers are in the same Active Directory Site.

I also tried to create a new single copy database on this server and moved the mailbox on it but still the same problem.

And also last thing authentication for OWA works well on every servers they can see emails but can't open it across OWA

Sorry for my english i hope i'm clear :)

Thanks

• Edited by amichel77 Friday, April 5, 2019 7:35 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2019 5:54 AM
  • Hi amichel77,

How many users in the node meet this issue? If all messages can't be opened or a part of?

IRM helps prevent sensitive information from being read. I suggest you use the following command to check if the value of IRMEnabled parameter on OWA is true:

Get-OWAVirtualDirectory – Identity “servername\owa (default web site)” |FL name,IRMEnabled

If the value is true, you can use "Set-OWAVirtualDirectory" cmdlet to change it to false, and check if any helps.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 5, 2019 7:55 AM
  • Hello kelvin,

I changed on one server (the one with the problem) it didn't help

I did a iisreset first but maybe i need to set the IRMEnabled on every servers ?

Thanks for the help

PS : after some test it seems to work but only with the OWA light version and if i refresh the page with F5 sometimes it work sometimes it doesn't work but if IRMEnabled is at $true doesn't work at all for every users on this server ... i don't know if it help !!

• Edited by amichel77 Friday, April 5, 2019 1:38 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2019 9:40 AM
  • You might want to review your F5 configuration to ensure that everything is set properly.

Do you have the same issue if you connect directly to each server and bypass the F5?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, April 6, 2019 4:40 AM
  • I checked the F5 without any solution and as when i bypass the F5 i have the same issue so i don't thinks it's coming from there.

Do you think that it's possible to repair the last CU21 installation in some way ?

• Edited by amichel77 Tuesday, April 9, 2019 12:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 9:11 AM
  • Hi amichel77,

Can the problematic user mailbox open emails on Outlook?

To avoid the browser impact, please test the use of OWA in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer 11.

Update Exchange server to the latest CU version could resolve some odd problems, you could update the CU22 and try again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57826

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Hi amichel77,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:57 AM