none
What is the recommended number of tasks not to exceed in MS Project server 2013 (best Practice for an accepted performance)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts, 

I'm very interested to know about what is the recommended number of schedule tasks in in a single project hosted in MS Project server 2013 environment in order to have an accepted server performance , i have found an old article that was targeting Ms Project server 2007, where it has been mentioned that the recommended number of schedule tasks in the schedule should not exceed 5000 in order to have accepted server performance 

Plan for software boundaries (Project Server 2007)

Does the same apply to Microsoft Project Server 2013 ?

the problem we have faced

One of our application end users has reported that he is facing a performance issue while uploading his schedule into the server (Ms Project server 2013 "on August 2016 CU"), and when we have checked we have found that his schedule has 25000+ tasks and the schedule size when saved into hard disk is 41 MB, and it has took him 3 hours+ to have his project schedule published successfully.

Thank you in advance

Karim El Zarka, MCTS Sharepoint 2010 , MCITP SharePoint Administrator 2010 Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Karim,

Don't know about the performance limitations of PS2013, but obviously a 25k+ tasks project will take a long time to open and save/publish.

I think your concern should not be about the performance, but more about scheduling best practices. I do believe a 25000 tasks project cannot be updated and optimized on a regular basis. You should work with the user about his plan.

• Shouldn't he split the project into multiple sub projects?
    • Are there some completed phases which could become archived projects?
    • Isn't he managing micro tasks which should not be managed in Project, but rather in a task mangement tool (jira, planner, SP list)?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Karim El Zarka Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:04 PM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:14 AM