none
customizing right-click options in Vista Business 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to add a right-click option to a computer running 64bit Vista and have so far been unsuccessful.  I have followed several guides I've found on the Internet, all of which provide similar steps.  I have, however, also run across a few references indicating that 64bit Vista does not like to cooperate with right-click customization.  Any guidance here would be much appreciated.

1. I have a blah.cmd file that is used to PRINT a file via DOS (necessary for outputting correct formatting when printing a text file from a legacy inventory system to a dotmatrix printer shared on a linux server...  ugh)
    2. The text files I need printed all have a .p01 extension.
    3. In regedit, I navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then the .p01 key
    4. I create a new key under .p01 named "shell"
    5. I create a new key under "shell" named "Print to Dotmatrix" (I also have tried giving the "Default" a value like "Print to Dotmatrix") 
    6. I create a new key under "Print to Dotmatrix" named "command"
    7. I give "Default" a value of c:\path\blah.cmd "%1"

I right-click on a .p01 file...  nothing :(
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:23 PM

All replies

• That's incorrect, and wouldn't work in Windows 32-bit Editions as well. You need to implement the verbs under the ProgID, that is, for .txt files the default ProgID is txtfile.

If .p01 doesn't have a ProgID by default, you can create one here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\p01file

Then create:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\p01file\shell\Print to DotMatrix\command

And add the necessary data.

Then set (default) to p01file in this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.p01

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP (since 2003) for Windows Desktop Experience. The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ (Windows 7/Vista/XP Troubleshooting)
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:40 AM