none
GPO Office 2010 & 2013 - Default .ost location

Question

• Hi everybody,

I have implement new policies for Outlook 2010 & 2013 clients to force .ost file to be kept on U: drive which is personal storage for each user.

I have downloaded administrative template from Microsoft website for both 2010 & 2013 and configured all the registry keys as per below:

Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\outlook\cached mode\cachedexchangemode 2
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\outlook\cached mode\enable 1
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\outlook\forceostpath U:\
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\15.0\outlook\cached mode\cachedexchangemode 2
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\15.0\outlook\cached mode\enable 1
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\15.0\outlook\forceostpath U:\

Now, this setting will not force current Outlook profile to change the .ost file location, it will only affect the new profiles which are set up from scratch.

As we have a lot of users and computers, walking around each individual machines doesn't seem like an option.

Does anyone know on how to enforce current outlook profiles to change the .ost path as well?

All the best,

Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm assuming you've configured below Group Policy setting for the location of OST files:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Microsoft Outlook 2013/Miscellaneous/PST Settings/Default location for OST files (This policy setting will update the forceostpath registry key.)

As far as I know, this won't affect users who already have their OST files setup and working. Users will have to delete their existing mail profiles first, then restart Outlook to generate new OST file to the location you specified in the new ForcePSTPath registry file.

To delete current Outlook profile for all domain users, we can use group policy to run a logon script to delete the registry below:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\{ProfileName}

Hope this helps.  

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 6, 2015 5:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm assuming you've configured below Group Policy setting for the location of OST files:

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Microsoft Outlook 2013/Miscellaneous/PST Settings/Default location for OST files (This policy setting will update the forceostpath registry key.)

As far as I know, this won't affect users who already have their OST files setup and working. Users will have to delete their existing mail profiles first, then restart Outlook to generate new OST file to the location you specified in the new ForcePSTPath registry file.

To delete current Outlook profile for all domain users, we can use group policy to run a logon script to delete the registry below:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\{ProfileName}

Hope this helps.  

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 6, 2015 5:11 AM
  • Hi JG,

Is U: a network shared path. Its not advisable to have PSTs or OSTs over the network drives.

Network Stored PST files ... don't do it!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/01/21/network-stored-pst-files-don-t-do-it.aspx

Incase this is a VDI solution and users are already logging in to the server and U: is local to the server, you might use it.

This is the method to Move an offline Outlook Data File (.ost)

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Friday, November 6, 2015 8:15 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Hi JG,

Is U: a network shared path. Its not advisable to have PSTs or OSTs over the network drives.

Network Stored PST files ... don't do it!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/01/21/network-stored-pst-files-don-t-do-it.aspx

Agree with this point.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, November 6, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Thank you
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 4:02 PM