none
2013-Getting Vertical Marker Lines on Milestones RRS feed

• Question

• I've been asked to make our gantt charts 'prettier' and more visually appealing to our customer, and thus it is desired that our milestones on the chart all have a vertical line through them marking that 'red line in the sand.'  How do I make this work?
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:27 PM

Answers

• ZeeWulf,

In my opinion, bad idea. Gantt charts are to present data, not for "visual entertainment".

Since there is no built-in bar style that has a line through it, to create what you think you want will require you to manually draw a vertical line through each milestone bar, which by default is a diamond shape. I suggest you pick one of the available bar styles to represent the milestones and select a color (e.g. red) that will make it stand out.

John

• Proposed as answer by Rob Schneider Saturday, February 27, 2016 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZeeWulf Monday, February 29, 2016 10:17 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:00 PM

All replies

• ZeeWulf,

In my opinion, bad idea. Gantt charts are to present data, not for "visual entertainment".

Since there is no built-in bar style that has a line through it, to create what you think you want will require you to manually draw a vertical line through each milestone bar, which by default is a diamond shape. I suggest you pick one of the available bar styles to represent the milestones and select a color (e.g. red) that will make it stand out.

John

• Marked as answer by ZeeWulf Monday, February 29, 2016 10:17 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:00 PM
  • You only have a limited range of marker styles and there is nothing with a line through it.

Even though the formatting range is limited there are still many ways to enhance the appearance of the text and bars in a view.

I definitely recommend that you do not heavily re-format the Gantt chart view or any of the built in views, tables, reports.

Many reasons for this, such as people expect to see something familiar when they open the file, but especially if you make a mess you want to be able to return to a view that still looks ok.

Make a new view by copying the built in Gantt chart view, and then format it to you heart's content.

Be careful about wanting to make the charts "prettier". It can be a waste of time and you might end up making something that looks horrible. Surely it is a low priority compared to making the plan as good as possible.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 3:06 AM